Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2007, 04:41 PM   #1

Share |

Any tricks to revealing old brick?

While I am getting a new counter in I am dealing with the backsplash which I ripped out last year. Previously it had all been tiled but I've realized a corner that juts in (18" X 18") is the house's brick chimney (circa 1930). Right now it has plaster on it and I'm just wondering if there is anything I should know before I take a hammer to it. I'm thinking it would be nice to see the brick of the chimney.

Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:41 PM   #2

The brick is probably not the quality you would want to expose + you will have a difficult time getting the plaster off it.

joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:11 PM   #3

If it's the same brick as what is showing in the basement it's just standard red brick which would be okay by me. Do you think they plastered right on the brick or would there be lath?
Old 08-22-2007, 08:55 PM   #4

You will probably ruin the brick trying to remove the plaster. That said, go for it. At worst, you can scratchcoat it and apply fake brick to get the look.
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:17 PM   #5

if you hammer at all on that brick,,,probably soft brick,,,you could have the whole chimney down on your head. They are heavy and they will pull walls and ceilings and what ever else is close down with them. Me thinks this guy was kidding. Yes rather than all that,,, mortar some more fake brick where this was for brick 'look' if thats what you want. Chimney brick isnt that cool,,,soft brick where you cant see,,,hard brick(sometimes) above roof level. It is plastered over for a reason. I dont like brick on a back splash anyway,,how do you 'clean' it???
justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:51 AM   #6

Thanks for the info. I guess since no one is pumping up with 'yup do it all the time' I should pass. I just thought it might be an inexpensive way of adding some interest as it's not actually in an area that gets a lot of splashing etc. but I sure don't want more work to do than I started with. I have enough of that sort of thing already around here.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #7

I removed plaster from chimney. It was attached width metal lath attached nailed to joints in brick. I used a hammer drill in hammer mode with chisel.It wasn't too bad. The bricks still have some plaster left on them. I think it could be cleaned up some with wire brush. House was built in 1887. Burned in the 1930's and 1950'. I would guess the plaster was put on after fire in the 50's.
buster london is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
Retired carpenter

Plaster dissolves in water. You can wrap the area you want cleaned with a soaking-wet towel, come back the next morning, and see how it comes off.
abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
While I am getting a new counter in I am dealing with the backsplash which I ripped out last year. Previously it had all been tiled but I've realized a corner that juts in (18" X 18") is the house's brick chimney (circa 1930). Right now it has plaster on it and I'm just wondering if there is anything I should know before I take a hammer to it. I'm thinking it would be nice to see the brick of the chimney.
I wouldn't really mess around with that unless you REALLY REALLY know what you are doing.

Best of luck...

diyjohn1234 is offline   Reply With Quote