DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Concrete, Stone & Masonry (http://www.diychatroom.com/f105/)
-   -   Anchor Bolts questions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f105/anchor-bolts-questions-141669/)

jackwashere 04-26-2012 06:59 PM

Anchor Bolts questions
 
I bought a bunch of anchor bolts to connect a roof to ICF (concrete) walls. They are 5/8" x 12". They have a 3.5" thread. How much of that thread should stick out above the concrete and how much below? 2"? 2.5" 3"? My ICF walls are 4" core size so I'll be using 2x4's for base boards. Also the anchor bolts and the bolts were covered with rust. Should I return them to the store and get another batch that's not so rusty? Does it make a difference or is it like rebar where a little rust is to be expected?

joecaption 04-26-2012 07:04 PM

You post dose not make it very clear what it is your trying to do.
Why would you even think about installing rusty bolts?
Any chance of a picture, drawing, something?

Ravenworks 04-26-2012 07:32 PM

I would think you need to attach a plate first,is that what you are trying to do so you may set the trusses?

concretemasonry 04-26-2012 07:39 PM

A 4" core size on an ICF is pretty flimsy/puny and may not be acceptable in the civilized world.

Dick

jomama45 04-26-2012 08:36 PM

If you are using a pressure-treated plate on top of the ICF wall, you will need to use hot-dipped galvanized anchor bolts.

If you don't need the pressure-treated because it won't be subject to any moisture (unlikely when in contact with concrete) you can get away with mild steel AB's, even with a little rust on them.

jomama45 04-26-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by concretemasonry (Post 908369)
A 4" core size on an ICF is pretty flimsy/puny and may not be acceptable in the civilized world.

Dick

Do you really consider this area to be civilized?? Have you not read anything about the class wars going on currently in your neighboring state of WI??? Makes places like Lebanon seem like suburbia................:laughing:

concretemasonry 04-26-2012 10:31 PM

Even though I was involved on the archaic, old DLIHR jungle and code ridiculousness that ruled everything, I never considered WI to be further out side of the civilized world even though the U.S. has now officially dropped from #15 to #17 in education.

I live 15 miles from WI and am involved in a family reunion there in in Barronett (Barron county).

I have learned that some strange codes, standards and approvals exist in WI. I have learned that the farther you are from Madison (100,000 politicians, 100,000 lobbyists, 100,000 students and bunch of others), the better off you are. - None of them know where to go for good fishing. The parallel to Lebanon is good, just as one to D.C. would be.

It would be nice to have WI contribute to adding capacity the the MN freeways from the WI residents to use to get to work in MSP and then fill up with cheap gas before going home in WI.

A 4" stand alone core for an ICF does not make sense in any state OR country.

It is good to communicate with another German/Scandinavian involved in construction.

Dick

jackwashere 04-27-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 908334)
You post dose not make it very clear what it is your trying to do.

I have 12 inch anchor bolts. They consist of 3.5" of thread and 8.5" of not thread (with an L at the end). They are inserted into the wet concrete. Should I leave 2" of thread above the concrete line? 2.5"? 3"? I'm going to use 2x4's (1.5" x 3.5") for the plates.

The plate will be attached on top of the wall after the concrete is poured and dries.

jackwashere 04-27-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 908334)
Why would you even think about installing rusty bolts?

I'm not sure how much of a problem rust covered anchor bolts are. I bought a burlap bag of them (quantity 50). When I opened the bag I was surprised to see the bolts and the nuts were covered with a layer of rust. I was told that a little rust on rebar is not a disaster and you can still use it. Is the same true for anchor bolts?

jcrack_corn 04-27-2012 02:21 PM

anchor bolts/their application/spacing/number are an engineered product. your architect/engineer will be able to tell you what size, depth of insertion, thread amount to be exposed, etc.

you cant have a 12" anchor bolt with 3.5" of thread and 8.5" smooth....it just wont work like that. <== poorly formed, see below...not really talking about bolt itself

framer52 04-27-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcrack_corn (Post 908908)
anchor bolts/their application/spacing/number are an engineered product. your architect/engineer will be able to tell you what size, depth of insertion, thread amount to be exposed, etc.

you cant have a 12" anchor bolt with 3.5" of thread and 8.5" smooth....it just wont work like that.

I am confused, why won't it work?

Ravenworks 04-27-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcrack_corn (Post 908908)
anchor bolts/their application/spacing/number are an engineered product. your architect/engineer will be able to tell you what size, depth of insertion, thread amount to be exposed, etc.

you cant have a 12" anchor bolt with 3.5" of thread and 8.5" smooth....it just wont work like that.

They will work,it doesn't matter how long the shank is,a J-Bolt is a J-bolt.

jcrack_corn 04-27-2012 06:23 PM

I was rushing and obviously my line didnt make sense, lol...i meant to convey the thought that asking the question and stating things like 3.5 inch threaded, 8.5 inch unthreaded, knowing nothing about the proper application of the product just wont work (if you dont even know how much bolt to leave exposed to tighten down a 2x4 sillplate then how can you have any confidence in proper number of anchors, type, etc for your local conditions/codes).

I meant this project shouldnt/wont work like this!

Quote:

Originally Posted by framer52 (Post 908943)
I am confused, why won't it work?


TRUEPRO 04-27-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackwashere (Post 908330)
I bought a bunch of anchor bolts to connect a roof to ICF (concrete) walls. They are 5/8" x 12". They have a 3.5" thread. How much of that thread should stick out above the concrete and how much below? 2"? 2.5" 3"? My ICF walls are 4" core size so I'll be using 2x4's for base boards. Also the anchor bolts and the bolts were covered with rust. Should I return them to the store and get another batch that's not so rusty? Does it make a difference or is it like rebar where a little rust is to be expected?

Need not let all these other post confuse the hell out of you. As long as there is enough thread to attach washer and nut with a little extra you will be fine. As far as rust... as long as the threading isnt compromised their good to go. DEF test each AB if they are questionable. Next time use galvanized.

jomama45 04-28-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by concretemasonry (Post 908526)
Even though I was involved on the archaic, old DLIHR jungle and code ridiculousness that ruled everything, I never considered WI to be further out side of the civilized world even though the U.S. has now officially dropped from #15 to #17 in education.

I live 15 miles from WI and am involved in a family reunion there in in Barronett (Barron county).

I have learned that some strange codes, standards and approvals exist in WI. I have learned that the farther you are from Madison (100,000 politicians, 100,000 lobbyists, 100,000 students and bunch of others), the better off you are. - None of them know where to go for good fishing. The parallel to Lebanon is good, just as one to D.C. would be.

It would be nice to have WI contribute to adding capacity the the MN freeways from the WI residents to use to get to work in MSP and then fill up with cheap gas before going home in WI.

A 4" stand alone core for an ICF does not make sense in any state OR country.

It is good to communicate with another German/Scandinavian involved in construction.

Dick


You hit the whole Madison nail right on the head........... :laughing: :thumbsup:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 PM.