Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #1

Share |

Advice needed on Stem Wall correction.

I've poured footings, retaining walls, stem walls, garage floor and driveway for my new garage. Was ready to go vertical when a change was needed to the stem wall between the two garage doors (was 3' wide and need to revise it to 1' wide for larger garage doors.) Plans are approved but now I need to do the work. I'm looking for advice or verification that what I plan to do would suffice.

Here's my plan. Please comment or advise if you can.

1. Stem wall is 18"x36"x8" above the driveway/garage floor. I was going to start by taking an angle grinder and diamond blade and cutting the bottom all the way around the stem wall as deep as it will go. Maybe 2"?
2.)Take a sledge hammer and knock the wall to crack it all the way through at the bottom
3.) Take a breaker and break up the concrete revealing the rebar and freeing the Simpson straps.
4.)Once the wall is gone, chip out another 2" to 3" below the surface and cut the rebar to leave only what will be used with new 1' wall.
5) Form up the new wall.
6.) Paint base will bonding agent and mix concrete with bonding agent. Pour form and put straps back in. Finish area as part of new garage floor.
7) let set and remove forms.

Does this sound right? If I didn't have to have the straps in there I would have just cut the thing down to size and left a piece of what was originally poured but unfortunately those traps have to be embedded.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

jaeevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #2

No need to cut the extra 2 inches deep. Just cut the rebar even with the floor.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeevans View Post
Does this sound right? If I didn't have to have the straps in there I would have just cut the thing down to size and left a piece of what was originally poured but unfortunately those traps have to be embedded.
I take it the straps are for uplift and shear/lateral forces. If so, why can't you use something like this that would attach to the jack/king studs on each side of the garage doors?

http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...s/HDU-DTT2.asp these attach to the anchor bolts, may require a coupler nut and a piece of threaded rod. Find out what the tension load of the strap is and match with the tension load of the holdown bracket. If you do not have a anchor bolt there you could epoxy the threaded rod into the foundation.

if you were required to have your drawings prepared by a professional engineer then you'd have to run this past them.

Just a thought ....

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #4

Thanks Gary,

I have to have anchor bolts as well. Two anchor bolts + Straps + three studs on each side of a 1' wall = no space. :-( I have to have all that stuff on each side of the garage doors as well. I appreciate the comment though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
I take it the straps are for uplift and shear/lateral forces. If so, why can't you use something like this that would attach to the jack/king studs on each side of the garage doors?

http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...s/HDU-DTT2.asp these attach to the anchor bolts, may require a coupler nut and a piece of threaded rod. Find out what the tension load of the strap is and match with the tension load of the holdown bracket. If you do not have a anchor bolt there you could epoxy the threaded rod into the foundation.

if you were required to have your drawings prepared by a professional engineer then you'd have to run this past them.

Just a thought ....
Old 03-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeevans View Post
I have to have anchor bolts as well. Two anchor bolts
couldn't you use the anchor bolts to attach the holdowns to? I know it's a PITA, we have to do all that here. I use the brackets, less problems

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #6

I'll ask for sure. I guess if I could I could just use a saw to cut the wall down without having to repour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
couldn't you use the anchor bolts to attach the holdowns to? I know it's a PITA, we have to do all that here. I use the brackets, less problems