Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2014, 09:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Adding a two row curved CMU wall to pool...

Hi all, this is my first post been lurking around for a while as I ramp up on my pool remodel.
The plan was to have my 20 yr old pool resurfaced but a back yard remodel was the result. Not unusual as this has happened on other projects.
The pool is now going to be surrounded by travertine pavers and the far edge being raised for a stone faced wall and water feature.
I plan to most of the travertine deck, BBQ island and pool wall.
The deck will be overlay travertine, I outweighed the cost for tearing up the kool deck concrete vs. overlay and overlay wins - the concrete is in great shape.
The wall will be two row block to give me a 24-26" height for a rain sheer descent.

The two question(s) I have are related to the pool wall. First, I had a structural engineer(friend of the family) confirm the wall could be made on top of my concrete deck using 8x8x8 block. Rebar will be set through the deck and into the pool bond beam every 2 ft.
1. the deck has joints about every 4' I had some concern with these "pads" moving which would effect the wall? is this an issue? if so would leaving out mortar at these joints of block be good. Fill with mortar/epoxy that can expand/contract...if such a thing?
2. the wall will be faced with ledger stone on top of a brown coat. I think the brown coat will be needed since the wall is curved leaving a faceted a larger mortar gaps. Anyway, the question is to leave a small step for the first row of stone or set the block right up to my saw cut line which is nearly flush to the water line tile. See the drawing showing A or B.

Thanks in advance for the comments/advice...
chris
Attached Thumbnails
Adding a two row curved CMU wall to pool...-image.jpg  

Chris fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #2

Looks like I can only upload 1 pic at a time
Attached Thumbnails

Old 01-26-2014, 10:02 AM   #3

One more...
Attached Thumbnails
Old 01-26-2014, 08:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 576

I would think the option you are calling B would be best. It would support the bottom of the stone facing and make it look more like it was built that way originally.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:59 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,156

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/br...ning-wall.html

all on the same page ? ? ?
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:45 PM   #6

Yep same guy.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #7

For this same project, the two row block will terminate at two existing walls: a property wall and a pool equipment wall. I know both will "move" so no mortar joint.
1. how much of gap should I leave
2. what should be used in the gap? foam expansion joint material then filled/covered elastic like epoxy?

thanks
Old 01-29-2014, 08:48 AM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,026

If the bond beam is level now, and hasn't shown signs of shifting/movement in the past, I certainly wouldn't make a control joint in the block and stone veneer every 4'. It's going to look terrible IMO. Also, I'd likely move it back so the veneer was flush with the coping when completed.

As for the ends, backer rod and a gun grade elastomeric sealant would work well. Assuming you're not in a freeze-thaw region, there should be very minimal differential movement, so 1/2" or less isolation joint should suffice.........

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote