Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #1

Share |

4 week old driveway

I am building a new home and the driveway was poured about 4 weeks ago. The sidewalk portion to the street are extremely blotchy and isnt close to matching the upper portion. The contractor insists this will all match in a couple months. I do not think this is good and not sure my options.
Attached Thumbnails
4 week old driveway-photo-3-.jpg  

Jefftra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

4 week old driveway

Don't worry about it and just let it go.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #3

4 week old driveway

Sorry, are you building the house or having it built for you?

Just wait and see what happens with the concrete. How much later after the driveway was the sidewalk and approach done? I suspect it will all look the same soon enough.
cleveman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #4

4 week old driveway

These were both poured the exact same day which is why it is so puzzling to me. It is hard to tell from the picture, not only is it much different color, but it is blotchy looking. How do I know if it was a bad mix?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #5

4 week old driveway

if the blotching is what i think it is, it will go away after a lil while.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

4 week old driveway

It is not a bad mix, otherwise it would not have hit the ground. Did you happen to notice when they got done with the drive, that they threw down a white powder? That would be why you are seeing the natural color, and the white color. Concrete is naturally Gray after a pour.

Also different types of mix will appear different after the pour.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #7

4 week old driveway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefftra View Post
These were both poured the exact same day which is why it is so puzzling to me. It is hard to tell from the picture, not only is it much different color, but it is blotchy looking. How do I know if it was a bad mix?

The sidewalk portion of the pour is more than likely the lowest part of your driveway,and also the part that will hold water longer than the rest of the driveway,thus the blotchy appearence as it dries,but it will all dry to the same color eventually,just have a little patience.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

4 week old driveway

It looks to me like there's likely quite a bit of calcium chloride (an accelerant) in the sidewalk & approach portion.............
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #9

4 week old driveway

I didn't notice if a white powder was thrown on it. A few hours after they poured there were tons of shapes in it. Almost like shapes of rock. They poured another driveway a few days ago and it all looks great, even the apron part. They poured my sidewalk a few days ago and it looks fine too.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #10

4 week old driveway

was it cool when they poured it? Looks to me like they used calcium chloride on the second pour. Ask the contractor. In my experience if that is the case it will never really quite match it will stay more of a splotchy gray color.
eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #11

4 week old driveway

I found out they added 1% calcium chloride to the mix. Apparently they added .5% to the other part. So this could have made the difference. Anyhow since my sidewalk collapsed after a hard rain, (2nd time for this) they are replacing this section. I am thankful for that.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #12
World's Tallest Midget

4 week old driveway

If it's collapsed twice, perhaps they should compact it below a bit better. There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it twice.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #13

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

4 week old driveway

Some very strange things happen to aprons along streets and roads. Frequently, the soil is highly disturbed and is not a dense as the general area. This can lead to more water absorption and holding by the soil.

In a town I lived in MI, the boulevard and sidewalks were really on city property. I had a driveway poured with 4500 psi air entrained concrete with wire and mesh. On the apron and sidewalk area, the city required concrete between 300 psi and 3500 psi(no more) and no wire or reinforcement, but overlooks the immaterial mesh and also required a broom finish. This required two different mixes of concrete. My driveway (not broom finish) never matched the sidewalk and apron. The reason was the utilities ran along curb line, the rock was at 4' and the frost depth was over 4', so there were frequent problems requiring tearing up the aprons and replacing them with something easier to work with.

There seems to be something in one photo that could relate to utilities.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #14
Concrete & Masonry

4 week old driveway

There's either more than 1% chloride in that mix, or it set fast enough that they really had to rub hard on the concrete, which will also lave it darker, or both........

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote