Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

4 inch limestone veneer over block

Pictures attached. Last Summer I had part of my foundation excavated and replaced. Part of the agreement reached with the city would be re-using the limestone to cover the block (historic house). I'm about to get started and just wanted to see if anyone had any tips that might save me some pain.

Although in the photo, there are 5 rows of block above the brick ledge, I've since added 2 rows of block because that will be at grade level. I have a lot of limestone to cut.

City staff have instructed to slather on as much mortar as possible. I plan to use type S mortar. That's all I got. How much (how thick) mortar should I put on the limestone where it adheres to the block wall? 1/4 inch thick?
Attached Thumbnails
4 inch limestone veneer over block-blockfoundation.jpg   4 inch limestone veneer over block-photo-31-.jpg  

ivanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #2

I'm also wondering about the use of say a 1 inch air gap between the 4 inch limestone and and the concrete block foundation. Why do I need an air gap here? Why would I need to prevent moisture from migrating to the concrete block?

Old 05-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanator View Post
I'm also wondering about the use of say a 1 inch air gap between the 4 inch limestone and and the concrete block foundation. Why do I need an air gap here? Why would I need to prevent moisture from migrating to the concrete block?
Because it's part of a larger, more complex system that includes weeps to allow any leakage to drain outward. W/o the air space and weeps, the block wall will inevitable leak to the interior in the future, unless of course you live in a desert. No form of masonry is even remotely close to waterproof.

As for adhering it to the wall, there's a reason the local gov. agency officials work where they do, they have no idea what they're talking about. You don't "adhere" a full veneer like that ever, you stack it with an air space/cavity to the backwall. The corrugated wall ties sticking out of the block are what binds the two together. You need to mix relatively stiff mud (Type S is good for this) and lay it on the bed and heads of the stone before installing the next stone.

Do a google search for "Rainscreen walls" or "cavity walls" to get an idea of how it works.........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2013, 04:57 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2

now you know why its difficult working w/most govt employees do they think OR have any common sense at all ? ? ? i'd apply some xypex or keyton prior to laying back the limestone,,, sounds as if you've gotten a full taste of ' pain ' already so smile while thinking the ' city staff ' can go pound salt
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #5

I just spent two days cutting the limestone. Halfway there.

This part of the foundation is crawl space and the rest of the house foundation is the original limestone. I'm not concerned with preventing moisture from migrating inward so much. If we had just had the CMU block, it would absorb moisture, wouldn't it? The other 70% of the foundation is the original limestone and there is nothing to prevent moisture from migrating inward.

All my internet searches return information about walls, where there is an interior living space, and the basement will never be living space.

Are there other risks if the full veneer were adhered to the block?