325 Sq Feet Of Brick Veneer - Concrete, Stone & Masonry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

325 sq feet of Brick Veneer

As part of the addition we're building on our house, we planned to do a full height brick veneer along the front and side of the house. This will match the existing veneer on the house.

Originally, I had planned to tackle this part of the project myself, but now that we are nearly there, its looking like hiring it out may be a much better solution. It would take me ages to do 325 square feet of veneer (9 feet high, and about 36 feet long).

I've been chatting with a local bricklayer who says he has 20 years of stone/brick experience. He estimates I will need about 2000 brick and thinks the job would take him 6-7 days. I hate to ask this kind of question BUT, I'm going to do it anyway...

The bricklayer wants $1.60 per brick (roughly $3200) for labor only. I would have to supply the brick, mortar, brick ties, flashing, etc. He would build to code. Overall - Decent price?

Thank you.

Advertisement

Last edited by JeepNick; 02-27-2012 at 09:21 PM.
JeepNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 530

Now now you better then that. Call around and get some more prices, Check referance, do not just read them, and you will know if this is a fair price.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,142

I take it it's a typo where you say he has 6-7 days experience?

I took a look at your pictures in the link. Any chance there was any brick on the sidewall that you recovered beforehand? If not, I have a feeling you're going to have a hard time getting a seamless match. This is alot harder than most people realize, especially matching the mortar color & joint finish.

If I were you, I'd talk to a few different contractors & try to see some pictures of their previous "match brick" jobs. To be honest, this would be more important to me than the price, as this is a relatively complicated job, especially at the front wall.

Also, make sure the contractor is going to be sawing into the exsiting veneer and "toothing" it back in.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 77

Yes, a typo on experience... He *says* he has 20 years experience.

He has a website I looked at with a few pictures and a work history (mostly for home builders in the area).

I'm planning to ask for references. I'm also trying to get other bids, but I'm running into three problems:

1. The main "Masonry" contractors in the area are big outfits and I'm small potatoes...I can't get them to call me back.
2. The other contractors around here (in my experience) don't want to deal with the job since they aren't doing the whole job.
3. Individual guys, like the one I'm talking to...There are plenty - But how do I know if I'm getting a real brick layer? I have met a few guys that want the work, but they are day-laborers who in addition to be bricklayers are also plumbers, electricians, and anything else you need.
JeepNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 530

If you want it to match what you already have then do not deal with anyone but a real mason that's all they do.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,142

I understand the complications you're having with getting bids, it's not an easy job to get it to match, especially on the front of the house. If you feel confident with the mason, I'd say go ahead. The price may seem high, but it's certainly less than I would charge you here.

Advertisement

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote