Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Concrete, Stone & Masonry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #1

Share |

2" Hole in Fake Stone?

I'd like to relocate some AV equipment to the closet behind this stone facade. I'm told that this is artificial stone.

There is a small existing hole in another location of this stone wall already (visible in the second photo, to the left of the plywood), and I noticed that there is a metal mesh behind the stone. This hole just runs down the wall.

I need a new, larger hole about 12" from the floor, and it needs to go thru the wall (not down the inside of the wall). The other side of the wall is drywall.

Should I use a chisel and go at the mortar first, then expand into the stone as needed? The existing hole was made using this technique, but it's smaller. Or should I use a drill, and if so, what sort of drill and what sort of bit?

Thanks!

DWooderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #2

2" Hole in Fake Stone?

Diamond core drill is what I would use.
Works like a hole saw.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

2" Hole in Fake Stone?

You don't need a couple hundred dollar diamond bit and core rig to get through cultured stone. Try to find a "Rem-grit" holesaw bit, and first attempt drilling it in straight drill mode. If you don't get anywhere, you may need a small hammer drill to aid in the drilling. I'd be aprehensive to go at it with a hammer and chisel, especially on a wood framed interior wall.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #4

2" Hole in Fake Stone?

I picked up the remgrit, and I was amazed at how easy it was. I don't think this manufactured stone is very dense.

I drilled a 2" dia hole, and I drilled out two cores, about 2" deep ea., it probably took 60 seconds total of actual drilling time.

I've completed this project, the AV equipment has all been reloacted to the closet behind this area.

Thanks!
DWooderson is offline   Reply With Quote