Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #1

Share |

Wood windows

I am getting ready to replace a few windows due to (a) rot and (b) old alenco alum. windows that are broken and have foggy glass. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for good brands that make wood windows. I have been looking at Andersen (buy from HD, install myself) and Kolbe (?) (buy from a local window supply house), but I'm not sure if I can get Kolbe here (live in central tx). Anybody have any other suggestions? And before people ask why wood, why not vinyl, I haven't totally ruled out vinyl. I just like wood windows better. And these will be going on a 1955ish farm house.
Centex2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
the Musigician

Wood windows

I don't blame you for not wanting vinyl windows. Some fly-by-night companies will screw you over big time with low quality crap that should not be in a kid's tree house let alone a home. Marvin and Eagle might be worth looking in to. Other companies still make quality windows, but you get what you pay for!

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Wood windows

Kolbe and Marvin are my two favorites.

If you want the look of wood, have you considered fiberglass?

In terms of vinyl, it better be a good brand down in Texas or you will be creating a lifetime of problems. Sunrise or Soft-Lite would be my two favorite of that list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #4

Wood windows

Well, I'm still shopping around for windows and think I have narrowed down the search. Although I still have questions.

One of the options I'm looking at is Milgard wood clad windows. The installer I got an estimate from for Amerimex vinyl windows is supposed to call me with an estimate for the Milgards. Are these two brands good? I have never heard of them. The Milgards are fiberglass with a wood clad. Anybody with experience with this brand?

Does anybody make unclad wood windows? I grew up in a 1930s bungalow with all wood windows (still original single pane) and we never had any problems with rot. We never did much maintenance on them. We MIGHT have had them painted 2 or 3 times in the 40+ yrs they have owned it. The only thing that might have helped was that they put storm windows in in the late 80s or early 90s. I like the look of wood windows and would rather have it inside AND outside without any cladding. And yes, I know that they normally require a lot more maintenance than cladded windows. I am willing to put that kind of time and effort into owning a home. I plan on staying here for a LONG time
Old 04-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Wood windows

Yes.

People still make unclad windows but it begs the question of why? If they are going to be painted, do you really want the maintenance nightmare.

Maybe 70+ years ago unclad wood was okay but that was because the wood was better.

If you don't like the look of the cladding, go with a fiberglass window. It will have the same type of construction look but last forever....in theory.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #6

Wood windows

Well, could tell me who makes uncladded windows. I understand they would need to be maintained. But I can't help but think that not having cladding and having to do painting and some maintenance every so often on the ext. wood would be better than having the wood wrapped in something and having an area where there is potential for moisture to get trapped. Along with the looks of vinyl or alum. If I wanted the look of those I would go after vinyl or alum. windows. This is just my opinion and personal feelings and understand I am in the 5% (maybe) of the American population that feels this way.

As far as the fiberglass windows, I know it is supposed to be strong and near indestructible, but fiberglass can break. I had a jeep with a fiberglass hardtop and it wasn't 10 or 12 years before it started to crack from normal wear and tear (I did not abuse it either). Nothing in my opinion is totally indestructible and if something is going break, I know how to work with wood, but I do not know fiberglass.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #7
Exterior Construction

Wood windows

I think you need to re-evaluate fiberglass windows and divorce yourself from previous impressions of thin wall fiberglass.

If you want the look of wood without the cladding, fiberglass is 100% the way to go.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #8

Wood windows

Well, I am getting an estimate for Milgard fiberglass windows, as soon as the guy calls me back. I never actually was totally against them, just cautious due to prior experience with fiberglass products (thick and thin). Have you ever dealt with Milgard? Are they a good brand? Good customer service? If you have never dealt with them, who have you dealt with that makes fiberglass windows.

I am still interested in solid, unclad wood windows. So, if you know of any brands that does such windows, let me know. I was told Kolbe does, but have not looked into them yet. Thanks for all of the help.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:15 PM   #9
Exterior Construction

Wood windows

In FG, I would recommend Inline and Marvin as a distant second.