Wood Rot Repair Under Sidelight - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wood Rot repair under sidelight

Most of the posts I've read thus far deal with window sills and other areas but the panel under my sidelight glass is rotting through into the foyer. I have some other minor wood rot that I am using epoxy filler on but once I remove this section, I can't use epoxy to fill. I was thinking of cutting a square piece to fill it in and then use epoxy for the seam line or to place an oversized piece over it (once I remove the rot) and use trim to make it all nice. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Rot repair under sidelight-image-585654305.jpg  

Advertisement

sygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,290

I think you are going to find that it will rot out pretty quickly.

You theoretically could pull the sidelite and put another one in but again I think the effort might wasted on fixing that door.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,272

Windows on Wash is right--That's some rather advanced carpentry---I have done that repair several times---that side light must be removed-

to make it look truly professional you will need clamps, a surface planer,table saw and a router with an assortment of bits and a multi tool or back saw.

If you have the desire,I'll walk you through it---a filler panel will be needed while the work is done----I could do it in 6 to 8 hours---you might need three times as long---that is a common door and might be easier to just replace,as you will have rotting wood in the floor structure and fixing the side light won't address that.---Mike----
Windows on Wash (08-21-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
Bombastic Idiot

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
you will have rotting wood in the floor structure and fixing the side light won't address that.---Mike----
That's the first issue to address. sy, you saisd you were dealing with other "minor" rot. It might not be as minor as you think, you are filling the rot you can see. Find the source of the water and correct that problem first. Then, if the rot doesn't go too high in that light, a panel and trim plan, while not "truly professional," could be structually and aesthetically acceptable. If this is one of a pair, you'll have to do same trim scheme on other one so they look like they're " s'posed to be that way."
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote