DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Windows and Doors (http://www.diychatroom.com/f104/)
-   -   windows peeling/aluminum ? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f104/windows-peeling-aluminum-175300/)

bsa_bob 03-23-2013 12:43 PM

windows peeling/aluminum ?
 
I am thinking on put aluminum trim arouund two small windows,,,,,,the wood won't hold paint anymore more tha 3 years.What is Agood method """"""DIY"""""""""" to get my angles bent into this aluminum flat stock? i want to do this myselF as much as possible.THESE ARE SIMPLE BENDS, please expain any tips or how tos, i catch on quickly thank you much for your help bob s

ddawg16 03-23-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsa_bob (Post 1143841)
I am thinking on put aluminum trim arouund two small windows,,,,,,the wood won't hold paint anymore more tha 3 years.What is Agood method """"""DIY"""""""""" to get my angles bent into this aluminum flat stock? i want to do this myselF as much as possible.THESE ARE SIMPLE BENDS, please expain any tips or how tos, i catch on quickly thank you much for your help bob s

You kind of contradict yourself. If it was simple, you would not be asking how here.

With that said....I don't think the aluminum will solve your problem. All your doing is hiding the problem. Additionally, I think you run the risk of trapping water behind the metal and making things worse.

What kind of paint are you using? Are you cleaning the surface real well before you paint? Are you putting down a good layer of primer before you paint?

beenthere 03-23-2013 03:23 PM

Moved to Windows and Doors forum.

joecaption 03-23-2013 03:24 PM

Got a picture?
If your talking about using wrapping the trim with coil stock it seems like a simple enough job and it is if you do it all the time.
Only takes a $1500.00 + brake, some snips, an $80.00 roll of coil stock, some stainless steel trim nails a $10.00 a small box and a set of seaming tools.
Whole lot faster and cheaper to just get a siding company to do this type of work.

bsa_bob 03-23-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1143955)
Got a picture?
If your talking about using wrapping the trim with coil stock it seems like a simple enough job and it is if you do it all the time.
Only takes a $1500.00 + brake, some snips, an $80.00 roll of coil stock, some stainless steel trim nails a $10.00 a small box and a set of seaming tools.
Whole lot faster and cheaper to just get a siding company to do this type of work.

Why do you think i'm doing it myself cause i don't have the funds to have somone else do it.and to the reply above this one i maybe contradicting myself i don't think so. I believe i can make the inexpensive beds somehow and caulk all the seams good .and carefully and the sills won't wear out in MY LIFE time. I had the idea somebody here would, share afew tricks that i could adapt to .i ididn't post a want ad to have this done !!!!!comeon guys help is where one finds it and i thought that it was HERE.

You can't get anybody around here that don't get dollar signs in their eyes .as they attempt to give You an estimate. if you still want to help? please chime in otherwise i'll go to some other forum where they aren't as rude HAVE A GREAT DAY!

joecaption 03-23-2013 06:04 PM

Wish you the best of luck.

joecaption 03-23-2013 06:09 PM

Wish you the best of luck.
Reality sucks I only do this everyday for a so called living what do I know?

bsa_bob 03-23-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1144124)
Wish you the best of luck.
Reality sucks I only do this everyday for a so called living what do I know?





What should two 32" wide by 42" tall 3" wide frame, all wood, this includes the sills. Whats a rough guess ,,where you are, then .........I.......... can get an idea for my area on these windows.Or should i shut/up an do it my self??????????

On these maybe i will call a siding guy. [who knows how to that?]they always seem extra busy.Well i was a licensed plumber in state of mich....in variably customers at times, want to try it themselves to which i was a party to in helping with ideas .in my working area.a number of times city state etc.

Aserviceperson 03-23-2013 10:49 PM

In my experience if wood trim is not holding paint it could have areas of silicone contamination. Did you get anything on the wood that is perhaps preventing paint from adhering? A pic always helps

bsa_bob 03-24-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aserviceperson (Post 1144328)
In my experience if wood trim is not holding paint it could have areas of silicone contamination. Did you get anything on the wood that is perhaps preventing paint from adhering? A pic always helps


No contaminates that i know of [been here 20 years] these windows are on the end of the house, garage end ,had them repainted short 3 years ago and they are peeling all the way around each window. I am thinking...i don't know this. That they aren't drying out after rain, ..in fact all my other pella windows............ cept the two ends of the home,..... are Great shape and holding paint. thank you much for your reply bob s any other ideas i'm listening thank you

joecaption 03-24-2013 12:50 PM

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...tock&FORM=VDRE

Aserviceperson 03-24-2013 06:10 PM

Check for rot

bsa_bob 03-27-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1144700)

''thank you much joe.i think this is the "cure page" I have been looking for cheers bob s:thumbsup:

Maintenance 6 03-27-2013 09:38 AM

Doesn't seem like a very friendly DIY site that tells somebody to hire a pro because they don't know what they're doing.

You can probably wrap these yourself. You will need to have a break. Borrow or rent one for a day. If possible, try drawing out each piece that you need to make. Expect to scrap some. It is a fact of life, and not one of the "Pros" on here can tell me they don't scrap a piece of trim from time to time. Start at the bottom and work up, so that each piece sheds water. Some bends have to be made ahead of others, or else the piece may not fit into the break to continue. Most trim work is experience driven. Expect to gain a lot of experience in a short time, but be patient. Everyone on here started someplace. :thumbsup:

Windows on Wash 03-28-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 (Post 1146931)
Doesn't seem like a very friendly DIY site that tells somebody to hire a pro because they don't know what they're doing.

Where did Joe tell him where he didn't know what he was doing? He never did.

He merely said that it is probably easier to hire a siding crew and that would be right in many cases. For most folks, when you figure in the cost of the brake rental, the extra materials that you will likely go through in waste, the shears, the time to do it, and the frustration...he is right in most cases.

Can a DIY'er do it...absolutely and Joe was the one that sent the original poster a link to all the how-to videos.

Joe helps out a ton of people on here and I don't think that is at all a fair commentary on his attitude or production.

Setting in replacement windows by pulling the stops is much more easily accomplished than doing the trim work. I see experienced contractors struggle with that type of work unless they are doing it on a daily basis.

Hope the original poster gets it squared away and the project completed to his satisfaction. Good luck and keep us posted with some pictures bsa_bob.

Post up some pictures of the bike too!!! :thumbsup:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved