Windows For My 10 Year Old House - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Windows for my 10 year old house

Hi,

I am looking to replace my current single pane aluminum windows that allow all of the florida heat into my house .

I cut the sheetrock around the window to get an exact measurement of the window that is their at this time.

My current window is 36"x62" internally from frame to frame and externally 37"x63". I went to lowes to get some prices and the guy was asking me the size and said if i make the window 1/2" smaller from width and height I could save 25.00 per window.

So I tell him to quote me exactly what I have now and do not care to spend the extra couple dollars that could give me a headache later .

So he quotes me for 4 windows and the paper says

frame type(Overall width): Nail fin w/ j Channel(4 3/16" OAW - - 2 9/16" WD)

FRame size width 36"
Frame Size Heigth 62"

So my house has siding upstaris so i will need a nailing fin to nail on the plywood. now I will need 4 more but these are going on masonry. Can I order the same ones for hte masonry side of the house.

Advertisement

Last edited by N01B4ME; 02-08-2012 at 09:16 PM.
N01B4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

By masonry do you mean brick?
Your rough openings are the same no matter what the siding, so same windows.

Advertisement

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
By masonry do you mean brick?
Your rough openings are the same no matter what the siding, so same windows.

Yes on brick.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 610

Little more to it than that.
And without any pictures inside and out it's hard to say what you need to order.
Windows are ordered by rough open size. There is no inside and outside measurements used when ordering windows.
You may be better off calling around and having someone else install these.
You order them wrong and there no taking them back.

Last edited by joecaption; 02-08-2012 at 09:56 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

It will be very difficult to install a finned window in a brick to brick application. If, otoh, you have trim around the window (between it and the brick), you can just remove that and measure the same way as the others.
Whether or not your exact measurements are correct, that I could not comment on without seeing it in person.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
It will be very difficult to install a finned window in a brick to brick application. If, otoh, you have trim around the window (between it and the brick), you can just remove that and measure the same way as the others.
Whether or not your exact measurements are correct, that I could not comment on without seeing it in person.

I cut the sheetrock and measured exactly the existing window. I am talking about the windows with the siding outside. At this point the plywood is against the window so I know I will need to tear the frames out and use the nailing fin on those.

The ones wherethe bricks are at. I had my dad use a chisel to break away the concrete and that window measured exactly the same. So I am assuming that I need to order 4 that go on the siding with a nailing fin and the other 4 that go on the bricks with concrete on the sides will need some kind of face. I just don't know which ones to order for those.

I can get pictures tomorrow when the sun is out. Does anyone know of a local in Pasco FL I could order windows from. If not I have to go through lowes. I did have a compnay come out here and they quoted me 15 grand for 12 windows.

Last edited by N01B4ME; 02-08-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 610

Lowes, Home Depot, Sears will be about double what any local contractor can do it for.
Unless those windows were plated in gold they quoted, or there's something your not telling us that was a rip off.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #8

Well I found and awesopme guy and ordered 12 PGT windows.

Last edited by N01B4ME; 02-09-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

Nice choice. I don't have experience with them personally, but I've heard good things and the performance numbers look good.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
Nice choice. I don't have experience with them personally, but I've heard good things and the performance numbers look good.
Thanks I went with the PGT 400 series ....
Old 02-16-2012, 06:22 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

"It will be very difficult to install a finned window in a brick to brick application. If, otoh, you have trim around the window (between it and the brick), you can just remove that and measure the same way as the others.
Whether or not your exact measurements are correct, that I could not comment on without seeing it in person."

This is a really good point, to fit a window on to a brick on brick surrounding... I wouldn't be surprised if you start getting some guys quoting a higher price, but thats personal experience in England...

Advertisement

Home windows is offline   Reply With Quote