Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #1

Share |

Are windows made in standard sizes?

Are windows produced in standard sizes, like prehung doors? Or do they have to be custom sized by the manufacturer?

Thanks

darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

For new construction yes. If retrofit for existing windows, you have to special order.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:06 AM   #3

What is it your working on? I just like to know the big picture when someone ask a question in case where missing something.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
JOATMON

If you want to know the standard sizes...walk down the window isle at Home Depot or Lowes (just don't buy them there)

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (11-17-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsunt View Post
Are windows produced in standard sizes, like prehung doors? Or do they have to be custom sized by the manufacturer?

Thanks
For the most part all windows are custom sized but that doesn't mean that they are what you'd think as "custom means more money".

The window manufacturers I've always dealt with don't warehouse windows and pull them off the shelf to fill your order. When you place your order with a window dealer and the manufacturer receives that order you essentially get placed in line in the system. When your number is up your order is built.

Building the frame, cutting the glass is all done by robots and they build any size you order to the 1/8". The only restrictions are a min. and max. sizes that can be built. Pricing typically figured out in 6" increments.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

kwikfishron, there are still some companies, that humans build the windows. Only time they use robots, is when moving large panes of glass. Most windows are all going to be the same mechanisms, when it comes to the springs and locks. As for the frames, it is finding a good thickness of material, if aluminum or PVC, which matters.

I have used Jeld-Wen when I replaced the window in my garage. I really do not like that the spring mechanism for the window, is string a small rod, and spring. There is really nothing to it, when it comes to failure due to the string drying out.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #7

The house is build in 1955, metal framed crank windows, the outside wall is stucco.
A house this old, do you have to rip out the old window, measure the frame, and then order a new windows?
darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsunt View Post
The house is build in 1955, metal framed crank windows, the outside wall is stucco.
A house this old, do you have to rip out the old window, measure the frame, and then order a new windows?
You can tak the inside trim off, measure rough opening from in there. Because you have stucco, they would cut past where the nailing flanges are on the outside, so that they can remove the old window, they replace with a whole new unit.

After they have the new windows up, then you need to have someone that does Stucco come in and repair the cut out sections, along with any other sections on the house in need of repair.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
Home Performance

To answer the original question, standard sizes are getting to be a thing of the past. Vinyl windows are all made to order and even wood manufacturers now are converting to that method at no added charge. The main time that you'll find price differences these days is on "stocking" sizes at box stores. They just order bulk qtys of common sizes and can price them less. You won't find that in dealing with window dealers or lumber yards.

The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (11-18-2013)