Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #1

Share |

Windows installed incorrectly?

I consider myself somewhat a DIYer but I have absolutely 0 experience with installing windows. I've recently been looking into installing some new siding on my house but I am beginning to wonder if the windows are installed incorrectly. I've never noticed any leaks, yet, but it seems like they are installed on top of all the weatherproofing which would leave them vulnerable to leaks. Wondering if these are indeed installed incorrectly, and what might all be required to get them installed correctly?

photo 2 by superman0604, on Flickr

superman0604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

You are right about not being installed properly, but millions that are not as obviously evident are also installed improperly.

If the windows are worth it you should really remove the siding or buy a caulking plant or license.

If you are looking into residing, that is an opportunity to reinstall the windows with proper flashing under a house wrap (or primary moisture barrier).

Dick

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #3

Is that just a single paned window?
Ever notice how they freeze up in the winter?
In a lot of cases that style aluminum framed window also has no thermal break so the frames transfure the heat or cold to the inside.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #4

They are a double paned window however a couple of them the seal has been broken because they do get a layer of moisture and occasionally a little frost. As far as the thermal break I have no idea.

Here is a picture from the inside after removing the panel they used to hide everything. Also one of the windows with a broken seal, notice the residue between the panes.

Untitled by superman0604, on Flickr

Last edited by superman0604; 09-04-2012 at 07:52 PM.
superman0604 is offline   Reply With Quote