DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Windows and Doors (
-   -   windows in home built in 1978 (

mwcrandell 10-25-2012 09:47 AM

windows in home built in 1978
our windows are orginial pane wood windows, we like to keep the orginial windows in the house but need to reglaze is there a way to take the windows out and put them back in
we have not been able to see how that can be done, or what is the simple way of reglazing them

joecaption 10-25-2012 10:03 AM

There really is no need to take them out just to reglaze, but if you want to, you use a razer knife to cut along the paint line to break the bond along the window stop moulding that holds the window in. Then I tap a putty kinife in the crack to get the moulding to move away from the jamb.
Then use a flat bar between the putty knive and the jamb and gently start to pry it off.
Do the bottom on the sides first and work your way up. Most often you do not need to remove the top piece.
Tip the window out of the frame and disconnect the rope on the sides. Keep you hand on it so it does not just fly up into the pully.

Use a heat gun and a putty knife to get out any old putty. If it's loose it needs to come out.
Use glazing putty.
I like to get my hands wet and have a container of water to dip the putty knife in so the putty does not stick to my hand and the knife.
Take a blob out of the can and roll it between your hands to form about a 1/2" thick hot dog shaped tube. Use the putty knife to press it in place then hold it at an angle to smooth it out.
It's going to take some practices.
And just think while your doing it how much easyer it would be to never have to do it again if you installed replacement windows.
Plus all the money you would save in heating and cooling cost.

mwcrandell 10-25-2012 11:54 AM

the old glazing is just falling off, not much holding in the panes

joecaption 10-25-2012 12:17 PM

Then you also going to need glasier points to hold in the glass while working on it.

mwcrandell 10-25-2012 12:57 PM

is that something we can purchase at home depot. we no not want replacement windows due it will take away from the orginiality of the home its a country style brick rancher and we have looked into replacing them but are unable to get the type we have in front of the house which is three separate window

joecaption 10-25-2012 01:00 PM

Any hardware, Wal-Mart, box store will have them.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1