Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #1

Share |

Windows with gap

Hello,

my windows have this gap at the top and at the bottom, thus air is coming in and/or escaping. Is their a way I can be fixed?

Thanks
giannishadj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #2

Windows with gap

Looks like a really cheap window.
There should have been vinyl strips built into the widow that would have filled in that gap.
Sort of like this picture. Every company has there own design but work like this one.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...+frame+details
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #3

Windows with gap

Is there a way to get it fixed?
Old 11-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #4

Windows with gap

Not that I've ever heard of.
I'm sure there's going to be more replys so someone may have some suggestions so hang in there.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #5

Windows with gap

One thing that would help is to buy some foam in a roll, cut it to length and stick it in the whole.
Measure before buying. It's sold in the winterizing area in any hardware, or box store.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Windows & Remodeling

Windows with gap

Can you take another pic from a little bit farther away? Something doesn't look quite right there... Even cheapo windows should not have a gaping hole like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:58 AM   #7

Windows with gap

If that's a slider window, then there should be a piece of weather strip in that space like this

Measure the gap and you can purchase this stuff at about any hardware store.
spotco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spotco2 For This Useful Post:
joecaption (11-22-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #8

Windows with gap

Do you guys know where can I find something like this?

Old 11-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
Windows & Remodeling

Windows with gap

Can I assume that is the piece that is missing in the previous pic? ... I don't think that fin seal pictured above will quite do the job.

Is there anything on the window that indicates the manufacturer? If so, contact them. If not, try a place like Strybuc. They are a company that sells all different types of window hardware. If you still have no luck, you might just need to fabricate something to fit in that space.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #10

Windows with gap

I cannot seem to find anything like this on the market. However I have noticed that most of the windows in my country have this gap! It is unbelievable how crappy these window people are and if you are as useless as I am on spotting such things then this is what happens to you!

Anyway. I need to do something because the cold is unbelievable, too much air passes through and I want a permanent fix. I searched the internet for this thing but don't have a clue of how its called. If I don't find it what else can I use?

Homesealed thanks for the advice but unfortunately we don't have Strybuc.

Thanks
Old 11-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #11

Windows with gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotco2 View Post
If that's a slider window, then there should be a piece of weather strip in that space like this

Measure the gap and you can purchase this stuff at about any hardware store.
Thanks mate. It is an option I guess. Will this stop the air from flowing in? I mean not being something solid do the hair on the strip still prevent the air from flowing in?

Thanks
Old 11-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #12
Windows & Remodeling

Windows with gap

That fin seal is not going to fix your problem... Search the web for Strybuc. You can purchase parts mail order. You can either search their catalog, or speak to someone over the phone that may be able to point you in the right direction. Even if you don't know the proper term for that piece, the approximate size and location/function of it should suffice.