DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Window Well covers for crooked window wells

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  nowwhatnapster 
#1 ·
I have a 1950 ranch, full brick exterior, full basement, and dilapidated brick window wells with no covers. They are difficult to measure. 2 of the 5 wells were "reconstructed" on a budget. They did not dig out the whole well and only patched the upper portion. The original well dimensions appears to be around 16.5"x37" give or take half an inch. The reconstructed ones are about 18"x40" and slopes inward to the original 16x37 dimension.

I don't have the time this year to reconstruct the wells, although i certainly intend to! I'm looking for something temporary (1 year) to keep rain water out of the wells while still allowing sunlight. I don't want to spend $50+ on a well cover from home depot if I intend to rebuild the wells in the future. It is difficult to find cheap pre-fab covers that fit these wells. I am thinking I might need to make something myself. Any thoughts?

#3 · (Edited)
Darn, I was hoping you'd tell me I overlooked a cheap prefab solution.

I did a little research on plexi(acrylic) vs lexan (polycarb) it seems lexan is the safer bet due to its impact strength.

I found this site that sells custom cut lexan sheets. The lexan comes at 15% premium over the plexi. If I order five 40x18x.25" sheets I'll be set back $214 which includes $43 in shipping. They have a 1/8" thick product for $193. 1/4" looks like the better deal to me. There is also a 5% promo code if I "like" their facebook page

HD has 48x36x.22" sheets for local pickup priced at $67ea. I would need 3 of those, $201, plus I have to cut them myself.

Thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.