Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #1

Share |

Window stop question

Hi There,

I have a question. I am considering a replacement window. My confusion is the end stops that the back of the window rests against. Are those part of the actual window or are they part of the rough framing?

detroittigerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Home Performance

Window stop question

Are you talking about the stops that the storm sits against, and the upper (outer) sash ride against? Those are blind stops and they are part of the original window frame.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #3

Window stop question

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
Are you talking about the stops that the storm sits against, and the upper (outer) sash ride against? Those are blind stops and they are part of the original window frame.
If im doing a replacement window am I removing just the double sashes that are there or am I removing the entire window? I currently have a double hung vinyl window and am confused about what needs to be removed for a replacement window?
Old 10-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #4

Window stop question

Now were confused. If you already have a vinyl new construction window how are you going to install a replacement window?
Most I've seen the jams and tracks are all one piece.
Got some pictures.
Replacement windows are mainly for replacing old style wood windows not vinyl.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #5

Window stop question

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Now were confused. If you already have a vinyl new construction window how are you going to install a replacement window?
Most I've seen the jams and tracks are all one piece.
Got some pictures.
Replacement windows are mainly for replacing old style wood windows not vinyl.
My house is brick sided so how could they be new construction since there would be no room for the nailing flange? How else can you install a window in brick without using a replacement window?
Old 10-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #6

Window stop question

We have no idea what type window you have now, there was no mention of brick in your first post and no picture.
I use what's called a flat jamb window, it will have a built in window sill that's angled on the outside that sits on the soldiered brick on the outside. A replacement window is just a flat sided frame.
Most windows installed in brick walls used brick moulding on the outside to trim them out and act like a stop which could be left in place if replacing the window unless the caulking is such that there stuck so bad you can not get them out.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
Exterior Construction

Window stop question

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroittigerfan View Post
If im doing a replacement window am I removing just the double sashes that are there or am I removing the entire window? I currently have a double hung vinyl window and am confused about what needs to be removed for a replacement window?
If a wood window, just the stop (for access) and then the sashes.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #8

Window stop question

Quote:
We have no idea what type window you have now, there was no mention of brick in your first post and no picture.
I use what's called a flat jamb window, it will have a built in window sill that's angled on the outside that sits on the soldiered brick on the outside. A replacement window is just a flat sided frame.
Most windows installed in brick walls used brick moulding on the outside to trim them out and act like a stop which could be left in place if replacing the window unless the caulking is such that there stuck so bad you can not get them out.
Can you use new const. windows for brick sided houses or would it need to be a replacement window?
Old 10-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #9

Window stop question

Still waiting for a picture, inside and out, your there where not. No one can see what you have now so how do we suggest how to do the job?
Old 10-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #10
Home Performance

Window stop question

A pic would be very helpful. What we need to know is if you have an existing new construction vinyl window set in the RO, or if you have old wood frames that already have vinyl replacements in them.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #11

Window stop question

You can buy new construction windows with built in brick moulding that get installed from the outside. No seams, nothing to leak.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #12

Window stop question

Quote:
You can buy new construction windows with built in brick moulding that get installed from the outside. No seams, nothing to leak.
Ok, since they have brick moulding I assume the windows is fastened through the side jambs? Just curious though is it possible to install a flanged window in a brick sided house though since you have the brick and small amount of air space covering the area where the nailing flange would be.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #13
Home Performance

Window stop question

Possible, yes. Easy, not typically.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
Window Repair Guy

Window stop question

You're just asking for leaks. First, I would really either let a professional do the install or have a local window repair & installation company come out and give you a consultation. You're plugging a huge hole in your house when you install a window. It's critical to get everything right the first time or you're asking for trouble. Leaks turn into mold which turns into rot which turns into ants and more mold and lots of money to repair. Window installation is not a joke and should be taken extremely seriously. Proper adhesives to the substrates you are sealing, installing proper backer rod and insulation, squaring, plumbing all have major impacts on the final outcome of the installation. You get what you pay for with windows and the installation process. Pay for a quality install now or pay much more for major repairs to your walls, ceilings, floors and whatever else later! Trust me on this. I've seen it all too often.

Last edited by windowrepairguy; 11-02-2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: addition
windowrepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
Window Repair Guy

Window stop question

Unless of course you have done this before.

windowrepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote