Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2011, 07:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Window shopping...

I am looking to have all the windows in our house replaced. I have recieved two estimates so far ...one from Windowworld and the other from a local remodeling place that is selling something called an NT window.

Anyone know anything about Windowworld? About these NT windows?

Both windows are vinyl, single hung, argon...the NT windows also have a slight tint to them ( I forget what they are called)

The NT window quote was right at $1000 more than Window World and I was wondering if the difference was due to a better window.

bassadict69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 536

Window shopping...

I'd check out some other brands as well. In vinyl, Gorell, Sunrise, Okna, and Softlite are highly regarded, and in wood or fiberglass, Marvin, Anderson, and Weathershield are nice. This is not an all-encompassing list by any means, but these are brands that are pretty much universally thought of as top-notch in their respective categories.

Windowworld uses Alside/AMI windows, which are somewhat questionable. They also pay their installers less than the going rate, so you can draw your own conclusions as to how that may effect the quality of work that you'll receive. I have no personal experience with NT windows, but from what I've seen/heard, it is not an upper echelon product.

The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
bassadict69 (07-28-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Window shopping...

AWESOME! Thanks! Too bad you are not a little closer!

I have been to those manufacturers websites and asked about local dealers...waiting on their replies! It will be interesting to see the differences in price! There was already a $1000 difference in price between the two windows and companies I already checked with!
bassadict69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 536

Window shopping...

You are on the right track!
Old 07-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,090

Window shopping...

My wife tried shopping for a replacement over-size sliding patio door because she could get a $25.00 gift card for the call. The salesman was 30 minutes late, had a sample that he would not let go of and only condemned the competition. After 45 minutes of listening when he never looked at or measured the door to be replaced, he then gave a quote for two doors. We would not say yes immediately, so he offered $800/door off if we signed then. He promised installation in 2 weeks (including building and shipping a special size door). Just a sales gimmick and my wife had to call repeatedly for the minor gift card.

I later called Renewal by Andersen and was told when the rep would be there (2 days). The day before, I was notified who would be there and the rep called 15 minutes before arrival. Before talking, he asked to look at the door and make some general dimensions. He had a sample, explained the features and gave us a price that was lower than the other company. We signed a preliminary contract for just one door (caution to feel them out) at a good price. He said a person would be out in a week to take care of the details.

Before the pre-installer came. I got notification of who it was and got a "heads-up" call before arrival. He came in, made detailed interior and exterior measurements and took about 10-15 photos of the existing situation and said he had to provide all information for the installers or they would be on his back.

The time period was longer than the first peddler promised. Since I knew the oversize doors can be a problem and had to match the appearance of the other doors in the community. We just got a call about a tentative install date, that will probably be close, based on the past performance. The sales rep had even taken the same class that I did to be a certified window/door installer (mainly new construction).

For us, the time delay for the replacement of a 30 year old monster was not a problem as long as we could plan.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote