Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Window replacements

my bedroom windows are rather small. I want to keep the width measurements, but I sure would like to make them taller, bringing them closer to the floor. How would I go about doing that? Would doing this greatly increase my cost in replacing my windows?

wheelin2serve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,352

Window replacements

Got some pictures.
What type siding do you have?
A whole lot harder and more expencive, got to open up the inside and outside walls, reframe the whole opening.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #3
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 536

Window replacements

As far as increasing the size of an existing window opening, that is probably the easiest and most inexpensive way. That said, any type of expansion is going to add a bunch of $$$ to the project over a simple replacement. If you are just modifying one or two, it might not be that bad in the scope of the entire house full of windows.... As joe said, some pics of the interior and exterior would help as well.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Window replacements

Increasing the length of the window will definately add costs to the project. Adding the length to bottom is the most economical because you don't need to tear open a larger area to replace the header and jack studs. Depending on the type of exterior you have will be the biggest cost factor.
chb70 is offline   Reply With Quote