Window Replacement Mull Question - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 160

Window Replacement Mull Question

Hello! I had 3 windows replaced by a company last summer... Two were single windows in different rooms. Then there was a big window in the living room (middle picture window with a another window, crank window next to it each side) This window I had them replace with two large double hung windows. It came factory mulled.

Since then I have replaced the two windows in my walk in closet with double hung vinyl windows. Very easy! So I am thinking of completing the bedroom windows this week. What my question is they are side by side windows. There is a wooden mull next to them. Would I take that mull out or keep it in? The type of windows I have are from the 1960s. They are 6 pane glass and on the sides you have to push on this spring aluminum bar to pop them out...

Advertisement

ryanb4614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,054

Picture/s would help - inside and outside.

rossfingal

Advertisement

rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

+1 on the pics... Generally speaking however, you can go either way. Leave the existing mull or remove it.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,244

+1

If you cut out the existing mull, plan on doing over the interior casing as that is normally required after this option is used.

I, personally, like the wood mull but it is overwhelmingly not structural so you can usually pluck it out and re-trim if you need to do it.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote