Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Window Repair

I have a dog that likes to go apesh*t on my windows anytime another animal goes by. Well he has finally done some damaged and I need to fix it. Here is what he has done to two of my windows:

I am pretty sure there are 2 panes of glass. The damage is only to the inside one. Is there a way to replace the inside pane? And is this a DIY job or do I need to look into a professional. I am a largely incompetent fixer-upper for the record.

Willie5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #2

Window Repair

if you can find name of manufacturer just replace sash. If not take sash to window/glass company (or they may come to you depending on location) and they can probably replace glazing,call first. sometimes those electric shock blankets work for deterring or a shock collar set on low until he figures its better to let the truck go

Willie5566 (03-03-2011)
Old 03-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 2

Window Repair

tpolk is right on... just one pane will not be able to be replaced, you'll either need an entire sash or IG unit.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
Willie5566 (03-03-2011)
Old 03-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #4

Window Repair

So it sounds like it is not a good DIY job. Any idea what it would cost to repair 2 windows like this? Homesealed-It likes like you are in the business? What would fixing something like this run?
Willie5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 2

Window Repair

If you were to purchase a new sash (you'd need to know the manufacturer first), they usually run like $50-$80 depending on brand. Getting it re-glazed should be roughly the same as long as you take it in somewhere. It could be do it yourself if you can figure out how to get the glass unit out of the sash. It looks like that window has an "interior" glazing bead, which is that half inch strip that goes around the perimeter of the glass. It typically snaps in and out. Then on the other side of the glass, there will be a bead of silicone that needs to be cut... Then you take the piece into a glass shop and have them make a new one . Bring it home and re-install the same way it came out.

Tags
glass, windows