Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #1

Share |

Window question and Door widening

So first question is were going to be increaseing door width from 32ish" doors to 36" for handicap access. Are there any guides or methods to frame around for the new door (there prehung) but as the opening needs to be wider what would be the correct method of doing so. The doors being increased are not located on load bearing walls.

Second topic is windows.... Were trying to shop for new window's as the house we bought is pretty old and they have half of it with vinyl siding and new winodws and the other half not..... Needless to say were going to replace the rest of the windows and finish the vinyl siding at some point. But were shopping for new windows and having a hard time making a decision....

The following are all the window dimensions.
Width, Height...
25 3/4 x 53 1/2
24 1/4 x 44 1/2
24 1/4 x 45 1/4
25 1/4 x 57
25 3/4 x 56 3/4 (2)
24 1/2 x 57 (2)
38 3/4 x 39
37 3/4 x 40
39 x 40 1/2
39 x 40 3/4
25 1/4 x 54 (2)
25 1/2 x 53 1/2 (2)

Naturally to get these windows to size would require special orders and most likely a huge increase in cost. So the thinking is to get windows just slightly larger if possible then what is required since I would assume it would be easier to increase the window space as opposed to a decrease correct? If we can't get both of the width to height close enough and have to fill in some space on either side what is the best way of doing so?

Pretty new to everything so were going to learn as we go (really what other way is there) and because of budget we can't really hire someone So any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Mstrenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #2

Plaster or sheetrock walls where the doors are going?
The walls going to have to be all opened up from floor to ceiling and all be reframed with a new header.

Not a big deal to order made to size vinyl windows.
Why not just use replacement windows if the sills are in good shape.
http://www.ezhangdoor.com/properly-f...-rough-opening

Last edited by joecaption; 05-27-2012 at 10:20 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #3

It's some sort of paneling where the doors will go. except for 1 wall I think has some sort of plaster type. Any ideas for the framing aspect? Dosen't sound all to hard to open up the walls alittle more to allow for the increased size in door.

As for the windows. The whole frame inside and outside needs to be replaced, including Sills. There just that old and starting to rot and chip from the paint (Lead Paint) so to eliminate that were going to replace all that as soon as we figure out how
Old 05-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #4

Post some pictures of the paneled areas where your working.

If the panels were not glued to the wall you can use a small nail punch and knock the nails into the walls to remove it. If there glued the panels and the wall will be damaged. If the paneling is staying I'd see if I could find matching pieces before starting so you can have plan B in place.

Plaster is tough stuff to cut, we use a diamond blade on a ciruler saw to make the major cuts and a 4-1/2" right angle grinder with a diamond blade for the smaller cuts.

If you remove the inside trim around those windows you can then get the rough opening sizes. That's how new constrution windows are ordered, not by the sash size.
There needs to be room to be able to shim the window to get it level and plumb so there never ordered the exact same size as the opening.
To make it easer on you when installing you can order extention jambs when you order the windows so they come out flush with the finished walls.
Standard jambs come for 2 X 4, or 2 X 6 walls, yours may be thicker because of the plaster.
Not that hard to install a whole new window unit. Remove inside and outside trim and cut off the nails or screws holding it in place if there are any with a sawsall with a metal cutting blade.
Post a picture of the outside window when you get a chance.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #5

I will get some pictures when I go over to the house today. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #6

Here are the 3 doors in question. Door 1 seems pretty straight forward. Door 2 and 3 both will require some electrical work to move the outlets/switches. Door 3 also on the outside of it has the floor heater that needs to be moved. It's boiler heated so it will be plumbing related......

Door 3 isn't a 100% has to be done but door 1 and 2 are both required for bathroom access with a wheelchair.
Attached Thumbnails
Window question and Door widening-door-1.jpg   Window question and Door widening-door-1-otherside.jpg   Window question and Door widening-door-2-otherside.jpg   Window question and Door widening-door-2.jpg   Window question and Door widening-door-3.jpg  

Window question and Door widening-door-3-otherside.jpg  
Old 05-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #7

These are some of the windows in question.... There are 16 in total but they are all in the same general shape.

I did find out getting better replacement windows were not that bad cost wise to get the size dimensions as the old ones. So the only issue will be the trim type areas and sills on the outside. Unsure how hard that all is to replace or what is needed so any help would be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Window question and Door widening-window-1.jpg   Window question and Door widening-window-1-sill.jpg   Window question and Door widening-window-2.jpg   Window question and Door widening-window-2-sill.jpg   Window question and Door widening-window-3.jpg  

Window question and Door widening-window-3-corner.jpg  
Old 05-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #8

You need a carpenter, plumber, and electrician. To make an opening wider is the hardest thing to do. You have to reframe the entire opening. For 36" inch doors your width of the framed opening is 38" and the height for a modern prehung door is probably 83". Do you have any framing experience?

Tham

Last edited by Tham; 05-29-2012 at 09:26 PM. Reason: above post, I repeated
Tham is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tham For This Useful Post:
HomeSealed (05-29-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #9

I have zero framing experience so any tips would be great. I'm pretty confident in being able to relocated the outlets and switch for the 2nd door. But the door with the heater for sure requires the plumber which we have one comeing by tomorrow to get an estimate as there are numerous floor heaters that they did the lazy way about to get it to each room and just ran the pipeing and put heaters up along the majority of the walls..... We have an electrician coming by tomorrow but his focus will be more on some recess lighting and adding additional outlets as I feel I could pretty easily relocate the switches and plugins near the doors.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
Home Performance

Order custom sized windows. Any vinyl window is made custom sized to order anyway, so just get the right size. You won't regret it.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #11

You need a cordless drill, circ. saw, 3 inch screws and a sawsall. Oh and a level and some wood. Tear the walls open so we can see what's in them.

Should be able to tell you material list when we see,
Tham
Tham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
Order custom sized windows. Any vinyl window is made custom sized to order anyway, so just get the right size. You won't regret it.
That's exactly what we did. It wasent as big a price difference as we thought it would initially be. The only conern we have with the windows now is the trim and Sills on the outside as there in really poor shape and were not fully sure how to fix it.

To Tham:

Were going to be applying for our permits tomorrow so we can start on things. I will see if I can get you some pictures soon.