Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #1

Share |

window question

When you have layers of rigid foam on the outside of the building what is the proper way to fasten a window because most likely because of the window being built up from rigid foam the window is not going to sit on the sill. Can you install a replacement type window? If you do that though then you can't run your siding to the window.

detroittigerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #2

window question

Need a whole lot more info and some pictures.
Best way is to use new construction windows with plywood or OSB around the area where the windows will be attached.
No way would I try and use replacement windows to do this.
You need that nailing fin, built in J molding, and window tape to get a wind and water tight seal.
If you going to all this trouble to add insulation I hope you not trying to use the old windows.
If you going to try and use the old window frames all the trim and sills need to be added on to, then wrap them in coil stock.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #3

window question

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Need a whole lot more info and some pictures.
Best way is to use new construction windows with plywood or OSB around the area where the windows will be attached.
No way would I try and use replacement windows to do this.
You need that nailing fin, built in J molding, and window tape to get a wind and water tight seal.
If you going to all this trouble to add insulation I hope you not trying to use the old windows.
If you going to try and use the old window frames all the trim and sills need to be added on to, then wrap them in coil stock.
Why would you need more info and pictures? What I asked what pretty straight forward. All I asked was what you do if you have a new construction window in a opening that is built up to to the point that the window doesn't reach the sill or can you run install your rigid foam after the windows?
detroittigerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #4

window question

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroittigerfan View Post
When you have layers of rigid foam on the outside of the building what is the proper way to fasten a window because most likely because of the window being built up from rigid foam the window is not going to sit on the sill. Can you install a replacement type window? If you do that though then you can't run your siding to the window.
Where does it say in your post your installing new construction windows?
Why would you ask about replacement windows if you plan on new construction windows?
Two completely different windows, and completely different install directions.

No one here know what your grand plan is.
No one can see your house.
No one knows what type windows your trying to use.
Not enough info and you just get a bunch of guess's that may of not be right.