Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Window Insulation Panels

In the master bedroom of my house I have 2 double-hung windows side by side with a large arch window on top. These windows leak a lot of air and with the 12 foot ceiling in the room it gets cold in there while the rest of the upstairs is warm. I've looked into replacing the windows but it's very expensive and I don't have the cash for it right now. So for this coming winter I was thinking about building some "window insulation panels" like what's described on this page: http://www.arttec.net/Thermal-Windows/index.html.

I don't have a picture of my actual window(s) handy but it's similar to the one on this page: http://www.123rf.com/photo_2833058_arched-window.html

First, does anybody have any experience with using the window panels and do they make any difference?

Second, the window panel would only go over the 2 double-hung windows, not over the arch. The issue I have is there's no frame on the top between the double-hungs and the arch, so there's nothing for the top of the window panel to press up against. Could this still work? I was thinking about putting some weather stripping on the inside, pressing up against the top of the double-hungs to block the air.

mikelbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,502

Window Insulation Panels

Internal storm windows do work very well when they are air tight.

You created a secondary trapped air space (if they are air tight) which functions as an insulator and making the opening air tight will eliminate the bulk losses.

You could easily attach a piece of weatherstripping and foam to the top of the internal storm to create that seal across the mullion between the arch top and the twin double hung.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
mikelbeck (11-26-2011)
Old 11-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #3

Window Insulation Panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Internal storm windows do work very well when they are air tight.

You created a secondary trapped air space (if they are air tight) which functions as an insulator and making the opening air tight will eliminate the bulk losses.

You could easily attach a piece of weatherstripping and foam to the top of the internal storm to create that seal across the mullion between the arch top and the twin double hung.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

The bottom part of the window (the two windows side by side) is at least 6 feet high and at least that wide, maybe more - I'd have to measure it. Would there be any issue building the panel this large or would I be better off making two panels?
Old 11-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,502

Window Insulation Panels

Single panel is fine. If glass, it will need to be tempered if in the tub area.

You might want to consider acrylic for safety.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #5

Window Insulation Panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Single panel is fine. If glass, it will need to be tempered if in the tub area.

You might want to consider acrylic for safety.
I'm planning on using the shrink film like what's mentioned in this article: http://www.arttec.net/Thermal-Windows/index.html