Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Window Installation

I want to put two new 2'x5' double hung windows where there are no windows now. Family room is dark and want to add light, so new hole needs to be cut in the wall of my house to put new windows in

ssummerfield13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #2

Window Installation

I want to install 2 windows on either side of my fireplace, but there are no existing windows there now. Can you give me a rough estimate on what I could mexpect to pay a contractor to do these for me. Also, if I wanted a radius window on top what extra cost might be added? Thank you

Old 10-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 4

Window Installation

That is definitely doable, however you could see an amazingly wide scope of pricing based on different factors: type and quality of window, existing interior and exterior wall cladding, amount of finishing to be done by installer (ie: finishig drywall, painting, installation of trim stained or unstained), any potential issues in the way like electrical wiring etc... and the list could go on for a while. As a complete guesstimate for a decent quality window "cut-in" I'd say somewhere between $1200-$3500 per window. I know that is a wide range, but there are soooo many variables.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 102

Window Installation

+1

Could be from moderately expensive to really expensive. There is zero way to tell without a whole bunch more information. You might as well punch a couple of holes in the drywall to see if this anything in the wall that would require re-routing unless you otherwise know or can tell from the room and what is on either side.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6

Window Installation

I'll do it for $15,000.00 plus materials. Also, you'll have to provide transportation from where I live to where ever you live. Oh, and you'll also have to spring for a round of golf and good bottle of scotch.
If you promise to read the sticky about not asking for prices I'll knock off ten percent.
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:42 PM   #6

Window Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davejss View Post
I'll do it for $15,000.00 plus materials. Also, you'll have to provide transportation from where I live to where ever you live. Oh, and you'll also have to spring for a round of golf and good bottle of scotch.
If you promise to read the sticky about not asking for prices I'll knock off ten percent.
You are quite the comedian. I am so glad you were willing to offer the advice. I'm betting you nickname is douche bag Dave.

Last edited by ssummerfield13; 10-18-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #7

Window Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
That is definitely doable, however you could see an amazingly wide scope of pricing based on different factors: type and quality of window, existing interior and exterior wall cladding, amount of finishing to be done by installer (ie: finishig drywall, painting, installation of trim stained or unstained), any potential issues in the way like electrical wiring etc... and the list could go on for a while. As a complete guesstimate for a decent quality window "cut-in" I'd say somewhere between $1200-$3500 per window. I know that is a wide range, but there are soooo many variables.
Nothing in the walls, drywall inside, vinyl siding outside, j-channels on the windows, vinyl either double hung or casement, not sure yet. Thank you for your reply, helpful even with the wide range.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:07 AM   #8
Home Performance

Window Installation

Sounds pretty simple and straightforward so you would hope that it would come in on the lower end of the spectrum. Best thing to do at this point is get a couple quotes.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (10-19-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #9
Mod

Rewards Points: 84

Window Installation

Another thing is that any time you cut a new hole into a structure you will likely need a permit.

Is this a load bearing wall? If so you’ll need a properly sized header and will likely have to open up more of the wall than if it wasn’t.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (10-19-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #10

Window Installation

LOcal quotes are the only way to know.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #11

Window Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSealed View Post
Sounds pretty simple and straightforward so you would hope that it would come in on the lower end of the spectrum. Best thing to do at this point is get a couple quotes.
Thank you very much, shame you're not in NJ! THnaks again.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #12
Home Performance

Window Installation

I may not be, but I do know a couple really good guys that serve different parts of NJ. Paul at AGM serves the northern part and Wayne at Taylor and Young is further south. I don't know if either serves your exact area, but I couldn't recommend the two of them more highly when it comes to window installations.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #13
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 120

Window Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssummerfield13 View Post
You are quite the comedian. I am so glad you were willing to offer the advice. I'm betting you nickname is douche bag Dave.
Summer....just so you understand, asking prices here is a bit of a sore point....hence, you (and anyone else who asks about price) is typically going to get a less than desirable answer....

So....as the others have said....call and get quotes.....

Me? I would just do it myself....sounds like a fun project.....and you could get all the info you need from this site (just don't ask how much it cost)

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #14

Talking

Window Installation

Replacing my original wood windows with vinyl windows and also getting a window bricked in because need more space for kitchen cupboards. I live in canada so prices are very different i would imagine. to brick in a window and add new sill and steele lentil above window (area is 5ft by 5ft) the cost was $1000.00 not including the window. i realise this is opposite of your making hole but i think cost would be similar. it took one day to do all work except for the install of new window another few hours.

My advise is to get as many quotes as possible (i got 5 quotes) before deciding. oh and be prepared for quite a mess to clean up as cutting walls is messy.

I also bought all materials at cost once i picked my contractor probably saved $200.00.

Good luck!
Braddiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #15

Window Installation

see my photos in photo section
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braddiy View Post
Replacing my original wood windows with vinyl windows and also getting a window bricked in because need more space for kitchen cupboards. I live in canada so prices are very different i would imagine. to brick in a window and add new sill and steele lentil above window (area is 5ft by 5ft) the cost was $1000.00 not including the window. i realise this is opposite of your making hole but i think cost would be similar. it took one day to do all work except for the install of new window another few hours.

My advise is to get as many quotes as possible (i got 5 quotes) before deciding. oh and be prepared for quite a mess to clean up as cutting walls is messy.

I also bought all materials at cost once i picked my contractor probably saved $200.00.

Good luck!

Braddiy is offline   Reply With Quote