Window Install - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Window Install

Installed a vinyl new construction window yesterday. It slides horizontally. The directions stated I needed a minimum 1/2" clearance around the frame, and then use shims. Well I put it in, a little tight, pretty much zero clearance.
It operates smoothly and closes squarely. Will i run into problems down the road because of no clearance?

The rough opening was existing, not a new wall. Used a new construction window because it works better with my new sheathing and siding.

Thanks.

Advertisement

RodBarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Window Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodBarney View Post
Installed a vinyl new construction window yesterday. It slides horizontally. The directions stated I needed a minimum 1/2" clearance around the frame, and then use shims. Well I put it in, a little tight, pretty much zero clearance.
It operates smoothly and closes squarely. Will i run into problems down the road because of no clearance?

The rough opening was existing, not a new wall. Used a new construction window because it works better with my new sheathing and siding.

Thanks.
Not in San Diego!

Advertisement

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:01 AM   #3

Window Install

OK. Please explain...
Old 06-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 174

Window Install

if it operates smoothly youll be fine as long as the house doesnt settle which coiuld cause it to bind. .other than the only thing will be you dont have any space for spray foam insulation between the framing and the window
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,292

Window Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodBarney View Post
OK. Please explain...
He is probably referring to the relatively stable moisture content and temperatures in San Diego.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
if it operates smoothly youll be fine as long as the house doesnt settle which coiuld cause it to bind. .other than the only thing will be you dont have any space for spray foam insulation between the framing and the window
+1

If the house is pretty stable at this point, you should be fine.

If the gap is too tight for window foam, caulk it well.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #6

Window Install

OK. Thanks for the help guys. I did caulk the window well. Do you know what San Diego means in German?
Old 06-26-2013, 01:46 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,064

Window Install

They say the newer vinyl doesn't expand much like older large, dark colored ones without the welded corner miters.... though you did lose the warranty...

Gary
Old 06-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

Window Install

When you say ZERO clearance do you mean like 1/8" or so around all sides, or like you had to tap it in with a mallet? If the former, you will likely be just fine as replacements are installed to those specs all the time, and when you shim a window in tight it doesn't exactly allow for a ton of movement anyway. They main thing is that it is square, well sealed around the frame, and flashed properly to the exterior. I wouldn't worry too much about voiding the warranty unless this individual issue actually causes a problem down the road.

Advertisement