Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2014, 09:49 PM   #1

Share |

This window gets stuck. How to fix?

I checked online and can't figure out what specific type of window this is (aluminum, vinyl, double hung, etc). It was the window that came with the house when I bought it. It feels like aluminum.

The window is hard to open. It seems the frame is smaller, maybe due to the frame shrinking over time?

It looks like there is some kind of plastic seal that the window slides up and down on, which may be causing the problem. I read that the window can build up dirt and grime. I am not sure how to pull the window part out, so I can clean the side of the window, or press in the plastic side, if that is the problem.

Any ideas will help.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
This window gets stuck.  How to fix?-windowstuck.jpg  

greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Looks to be an aluminum window. Probably has side load balances.

Not known to be the easiest to deal with.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 11:16 PM   #3

With the window closed, clean any contact areas well with a damp cloth or brush, allow to dry and lubricate with an aerosol silicone lubricant. After it is opened do the same to the areas that were obscured when it was closed.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fairview For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (05-16-2014)
Old 05-17-2014, 12:08 AM   #4

I'll have to take a look at it tomorrow in the sunlight. I saw a video on side load windows, but not sure if the window is the same. Hopefully it comes out like a side load window. I'll take some better photos tomorrow.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #5
Rob

I would look for latches or movable parts that will allow the window to tilt out.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:25 AM   #6

You also have to consider that it could be out of square (bad install). Check it for plumb and square also.

And, it's always possible they used some foam insulation around the window that over expanded causing issues with raising and lowering the window.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robpo View Post
I would look for latches or movable parts that will allow the window to tilt out.

I took a few more photos. I have no idea what kind of window this is or how to remove the glass so I can clean the rail side.

There is a small grey box on the top part of the sliding glass. There seems to be some kind of felt or softer material on the rail side, to help it slide up and down. I assume this plastic box on top of the sliding glass can come off somehow to remove the window?

On the top part of the main window is another grey box, but it looks like something to stop the window from hitting the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
This window gets stuck.  How to fix?-window-plastic1.jpg   This window gets stuck.  How to fix?-window-box.jpg   This window gets stuck.  How to fix?-window-felt.jpg  
Old 05-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #8

Quote:
There wasn't any latch like a side load balance window has. The side rail didn't have anything except what is in the photo.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #9
Tileguy

Stand back and take a picture and post it here so someone can see what the heck you have there to deal with. The close ups are fine but a wider view would be helpful also.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #10
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrees View Post
There wasn't any latch like a side load balance window has. The side rail didn't have anything except what is in the photo.
Are there any areas where the paint is worn off where the window could be binding? Push the window up or down and see if it will move side to side where it binds.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Stand back and take a picture and post it here so someone can see what the heck you have there to deal with. The close ups are fine but a wider view would be helpful also.
Hopefully the first photo in the post gives a good idea. If not, I can take another photo later today.

Quote:
Are there any areas where the paint is worn off where the window could be binding? Push the window up or down and see if it will move side to side where it binds.
the paint is worn off along the side rail. I think you can see a little of it in the photo. It may just be the felt type material rubbing up against the rail, but its just a single line up the rail.

the window does not move side to side. When I try to close the window, the last 6 inches are really hard. When I open the window, its hard to open in the first 6 inches than gets easier.

I just need to figure out how to remove the window, since the side rail could be jammed with something (like dust/dirt), and probably just needs a cleaning. Maybe I can take off the rubber/plastic cap in the sliding window?
Old 05-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #12
Rob

can you measure the opening across the top middle and bottom?
Old 05-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #13

Found something interesting. There was two holes near the middle of the window frame. Wasn't sure what they were for until I looks at the other window in the house, and noticed it had a sash clip. So I popped the one's out of the other window, and put both in the window I was working on.

Removing the window was no problem.

Removing the sash balance required pulling out the bottom of the sash balance, and pressing down on the top of the balance. This required a lot of pressure. So it seems that the sash balance spring is overloaded.

There is a hole for the sash balance that is lower than the one it was installed in. I think this will load the spring less and might help with closing the window.

I did measure the width of the window, and the center is slightly wider than the top and bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
This window gets stuck.  How to fix?-window-rail1.jpg   This window gets stuck.  How to fix?-window-sash.jpg  
Old 05-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #14

I put the sash balance in the lower hole and it helped slightly, but there is still a lot of tension to close the window. Should I spray the spring that is in the sash balance?

As I pull the window down it is not too smooth. The width of the window is not the problem. It seems one of the pulleys need some lubricant or maybe it is not working right. In the photo you can see the spring, and pulley with a string. I'll check online if there is a way of lubricating the assembly. I don't want to spray everything since that might ruin the string part.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #15

Figured it out.

I went on youtube and found a video that showed how to lubricate the sash balance. His window was similar to mine, in that the clip was about half way up the window.

After lubricating, the spring stretched a little smoother. I think being 15 years old, the spring had built up some resistance through dirt or grime.

The window opens and closes better. I can replace the spring or sash balance but it seem to work good enough.

Tags
window stuck