DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

window flashing

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  gkaro 
#1 ·
Hi all,

posted a previous thread related to this but Im having some issues.
New vinyl windows installed in new construction to be finished with a engineered wood siding. Windows have a brick mould with a nailing flange.

bituminous self stick on the nailing flange layered on top of the sides, on top of the bottom.

At the top I have:
House wrap folded on top of the self stick and 45s taped with builders tape.
Question is: I want to install alum flashing on the top of window. Should that have gone on top of the nailing flange/under the self stick?

At the bottom:
How would alum flashing be installed with the nailing flange there. Seems to me that proper layering would have the flashing up and behind the brick mould but the flange extends below that. Does the flange get cut of at the bottom? Seems wrong but would provide much better water protection in my opinion.

thanks
G

See less See more
#3 ·
thanks
understand the top but ot the bottom. If it goes behind the fin at bottom, the flashing would be about an inch away from the brick mould. how would siding get cut? up to the flashing only? what about the inch left space?

#5 · (Edited)
I work off my cell phone so its a bit difficult to draw. I'll try and explain...

The nailing fin ends below the bottom of the brick mould when looking at the window from the front. If flashing came down behind the fin to the bottom of the fin, then forward on top of the siding, the siding would have to be cut to the same level as the bottom of the fin. This level is about an inch below the bottom of the brick mould. What happens to the space between the mould and the siding/or top of flashing?
If this does not make sense i'll draw it out....
Thanks

#6 ·
Im having trouble understanding this as well... Do you have a window with integral j-channel (nailing fin, then channel, then "brickmold"? If so, you would not add aluminum flashing. Caulk the back side of the flanges, tape the front (properly layered, so except the bottom), and then install your siding into the channel. If you are adding a separate brickmold trim on top of the window with fin, you will want your metal over the brickmold, not the window... Does that clarify anything?

#10 ·
That is a good link by joe which explains proper flashing detail. The only thing it does not address is this brickmold that you are talking about. Again, if the brickmold is part of an integral j-channel, you are not adding any metal. Flash it like the picture and install your siding. If the brickmold is a separate piece going on top the fin, then add the metal over the top of the brickmold (metal goes under wrb).

#11 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

i used my superior artistic abilities to draw out what I have...haha
You'll see the
brown sheathing,
red window showing brick mould and nailing fin
grey flashing
blue peel and stick
green sidng

If I go back to a previous post that suggested that the top flashing goes over the fin (as it is in the drawing) and the bottom flashing goes behind the fin (as it shows) the bottom fin sits too low away from the brick mould...

thanks

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.