DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Windows and Doors (http://www.diychatroom.com/f104/)
-   -   Window fasteners (http://www.diychatroom.com/f104/window-fasteners-185592/)

detroittigerfan 08-19-2013 11:28 PM

Window fasteners
 
Besides using roofing nails is there a particular type of screw I can use for window flanges? Something like a pan head washer screw?

Windows on Wash 08-20-2013 07:32 AM

Nails are easier but if you are using a screw use something with a pan or a truss head so that it doesn't stand up too proud.

detroittigerfan 08-20-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windows on Wash (Post 1231694)
Nails are easier but if you are using a screw use something with a pan or a truss head so that it doesn't stand up too proud.

nails are not easier. Can you back out a nail with a screw gun?

Windows on Wash 08-20-2013 09:45 AM

Why would you be backing them out? You don't finish nail the flange until it is completely shimmed and check for square, plumb, and level.

If you are pulling the nails back out, you didn't do something right to start with.

detroittigerfan 08-20-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windows on Wash (Post 1231755)
Why would you be backing them out? You don't finish nail the flange until it is completely shimmed and check for square, plumb, and level.

If you are pulling the nails back out, you didn't do something right to start with.

Well because humans make mistakes that is why and if its out of level or plumb its much easier to back out a screws than pry a nail out.

Windows on Wash 08-20-2013 03:44 PM

Listen..if there is anyone that you don't need to remind that makes mistakes..its me.

That being said, you don't finish nail the window until you have it shimmed and plumbed.

I also prefer setting some screws through the jambs to help attach it to the frame and stabilize it.

If you want to screw it in, use the screws that I already mentioned.

detroittigerfan 08-20-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windows on Wash (Post 1231882)
Listen..if there is anyone that you don't need to remind that makes mistakes..its me.

That being said, you don't finish nail the window until you have it shimmed and plumbed.

I also prefer setting some screws through the jambs to help attach it to the frame and stabilize it.

If you want to screw it in, use the screws that I already mentioned.

So with a flange you screws into the side jambs to?

detroittigerfan 08-20-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windows on Wash (Post 1231882)
Listen..if there is anyone that you don't need to remind that makes mistakes..its me.

That being said, you don't finish nail the window until you have it shimmed and plumbed.

I also prefer setting some screws through the jambs to help attach it to the frame and stabilize it.

If you want to screw it in, use the screws that I already mentioned.

I would use stainless steel pan heads for attaching to jamb to. Do you recommend a screw hole cover?

Windows on Wash 08-20-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detroittigerfan (Post 1231918)
So with a flange you screws into the side jambs to?

You are more than welcome to although it is not required in most flanged applications.

Most new construction windows are poorly installed and bow on the edges so adjustment of the jamb jacks, proper shimming, spray foaming, and proper set are critical.

A screw through the jamb may just help you with getting it in there perfectly and holding it steady when you finish nail/screw it on the exterior.

Quote:

Originally Posted by detroittigerfan (Post 1231920)
I would use stainless steel pan heads for attaching to jamb to. Do you recommend a screw hole cover?

If the window has jamb covers, you usually don't need them. Pull the jamb liners and start setting the units.

detroittigerfan 08-20-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windows on Wash (Post 1231977)
You are more than welcome to although it is not required in most flanged applications.

Most new construction windows are poorly installed and bow on the edges so adjustment of the jamb jacks, proper shimming, spray foaming, and proper set are critical.

A screw through the jamb may just help you with getting it in there perfectly and holding it steady when you finish nail/screw it on the exterior.



If the window has jamb covers, you usually don't need them. Pull the jamb liners and start setting the units.

what do you mean pull the jamb liners? These are just the frame. I have to make my own jamb.

kwikfishron 08-20-2013 07:37 PM

Roofing nails are the way to go, they lay flat. The flange and roofing nails are enough to deal with if the window gets trimmed, you certainly don't want to build things out any thicker than necessary.

Panheads are huge compared to a roofing nail. If you're bent on using screws then stainless steel "pancake" screws is what you should be using. Good luck finding them at a box store or even at a local hardware store.

Use any screw you wish to temp the window in the hole until you get it right then nail it off with roofing nails.

sixeightten 08-20-2013 08:24 PM

Nails can be removed fairly easy too. A pry bar behind the flange will lift the head so it can be pulled. No need to use screws for a window flange. Who is this, Mike Holmes?

detroittigerfan 08-20-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixeightten (Post 1232009)
Nails can be removed fairly easy too. A pry bar behind the flange will lift the head so it can be pulled. No need to use screws for a window flange. Who is this, Mike Holmes?

Screws are stronger. Roofing nails have no ring shank to them.

Windows on Wash 08-20-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detroittigerfan (Post 1231988)
what do you mean pull the jamb liners? These are just the frame. I have to make my own jamb.

I call them jamb liners, other folks call them balance covers.

They are the thin plastic cover that hides the balance assembly.

http://www.eriematerials.com/cmsresources/8600-5a.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwikfishron (Post 1231989)
Roofing nails are the way to go, they lay flat. The flange and roofing nails are enough to deal with if the window gets trimmed, you certainly don't want to build things out any thicker than necessary.

Panheads are huge compared to a roofing nail. If you're bent on using screws then stainless steel "pancake" screws is what you should be using. Good luck finding them at a box store or even at a local hardware store.

Use any screw you wish to temp the window in the hole until you get it right then nail it off with roofing nails.

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixeightten (Post 1232009)
Nails can be removed fairly easy too. A pry bar behind the flange will lift the head so it can be pulled. No need to use screws for a window flange. Who is this, Mike Holmes?

Hilarious. I have seen some of his shows where he rails against nails.

:laughing:

sixeightten 08-21-2013 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detroittigerfan (Post 1232063)
Screws are stronger. Roofing nails have no ring shank to them.

You have no clue. The flange will fail before the nails will pull out. I have never seen a window move in/out due to the nails not holding. I have installed thousands of windows in new construction using nails.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.