Window And Door Replacement.. - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2015, 11:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Window and door replacement..

Iím planning on to replace the old single plane wooden windows of my house with the vinyl windows and all the doors are also going to be replaced. The main door is going to be replaced with a fiberglass door system and the rest doors with the classic collections. The replacement of window and doors are given to the Clera Windows in Ottawa. Does anyone had taken their services before? Is vinyl window over wooden windows a good option? I would wait for your valuable suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Ellen K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:33 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,986

Wood shrinks and expands, easily water damaged. Vinyl you can get in different colors and get the interior side with a wood facing.

As for the doors, I would get a listing of customers that have had them do work for them, and go meet the home owners and ask them a bunch of questions.

I am in the process of replacing two windows and siding on my house, with a company that has been in my area for over 70 years. I know their work, seen their crews in action, and everyone in my town cannot state anything bad about them.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:33 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,832

Every material has its pros and cons. If we are talking about a good wood window (i.e. Marvin, Loewen, etc.) it should last a good long time if installed and flashed properly.

Vinyl is a bit more idiot proof from a rotting standpoint but there is a vast array of quality out there.

As greg said, best thing you can do is vet the installed side of the equation and take a look at the work product of who you might be using.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote