Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #1

Share |

window capping DIY

How can I put window caps on my outside windows myself.
Thanks Bill
GabbyAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

window capping DIY

I built my window caps using copper sheet and a home made brake. I found the information in an old issue of Fine Homebuilding, you may be able to do a search of back issues. Very nice discussion about how to bend copper, solder it, and form caps for windows and doors. Course if you don't like copper, you could do the same thing with lead, tin or aluminum.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
Windows & Remodeling

window capping DIY

Step one: rent brake and learn how to use it. Step two: learn how to flash an opening properly so that it sheds water outward rather than inward. Many professionals have a difficult time with step two.
Alternatively, you could just hire someone to do that part of the install if you feel comfortable doing the window install (assuming that you are replacing windows, not just wrapping them).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #4

window capping DIY

I'd strongly suggest hiring this one out.
Done wrong and it will add to the leaks and look like poop.
Going to need a brake, snips, seamers, a Pea shooter, coil stock nails.
A roll of coil stock, I'd strongly suggest using PVC coil not just painted stock for a longer lasting finish.
What type windows do you have?

Got a picture of the window outside?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote