Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2012, 08:06 AM   #1

Share |

Window brands...

Ok, here's my story - I have two windows to replace in my kitchen. One is the standard-ish sized one above the sink, the other is a very large (2x4') one at the end of the kitchen.

Here's my plan - I would like to hire an independent sub to do the work (I hate big companies) but I don't know if I buy the windows, or he does. Also, I'm not sure of the best brands to look for.

I live in upstate NY, so cold is a big issue for me. I replaced windows in another house ~7 years ago, and I can't remember or find the brand, but they were amazing. They were 100% argon gas filled, and the heat/cold transfer was non-existent. (amazing) They were manufactured differently than most gas-filled, supposedly. I guess the normal way to 'gas-fill' is to assemble the window, then inject gas in between the panes with something like a needle - these windows were completely assembled in a room filled with the gas, so all of the air was displaced, and they were true 100% filled with argon.

I would like to find a brand that is like that, or at least highly recommended for insulation, and how I would purchase a couple of windows. I really hope I don't have to go through a company to buy, or my subcontractor can buy them.

Please advise!

thanks so much

Laura K

kerronelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
Home Performance

Window brands...

Laura, I don't mean to burst your bubble but that whole argon room thing is a ridiculous sales gimmick. If you want to know how a window will perform, there are independantly tested ratings for that. U value is the primary thermal rating (along with shgc), and air infiltration along with design pressure are tell-tale structural ratings.
In NY, you have some really great options available like Okna/HiMark, Softlite, and Sunrise. If you are going to DIY the windows then purchase them from a supply house, but if you are going to have a pro do it, just hire a company. Not every window company is the high pressure sales type, just look for a solid local company. The situation that you suggested is just begging for problems down the road. If you have issues in the future, good luck finding the guy, and even if you do, he'll try to blame the product and the manufacturer will blame the installer, etc, etc. I see this type of thing on a daily basis.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #3

Window brands...

LMAO, yeah, that's why I said 'supposedly'. I know there's a lot of b.s. out there, and it could've been total smoke. Sales gimmick or not, the windows performed very well. They did a test with a heat light, and then the first winter I had, I could put my hand on the window, and it felt the same as the room as I was in. Worked for me.
I've seen Sunrise mentioned before, I will look into them.

thanks!

Laura K
kerronelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
Home Performance

Window brands...

They may very well have been good windows, I just hate the bogus tactics. The heat lamp is another one of them... Like I mentioned, just compare the numbers. They won't tell the entire story, but the majority of it anyway.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Window brands...

I have heard the "Argon Room" thing earlier this week and got a good chuckle out of it.

+1 to HomeSealed advice.

HiMark, Soft-Lite, and Sunrise are my 3 favorites.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #6

Window brands...

Check Viwinco windows, new construction or replacement. Based in PA, but i am sure they go up to NY. Usually sold thru building suppliers.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote