DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Who measures for replacment window?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  scottktmrider 
#1 ·
I told one of my kids I don't want anymore clothes, etc for Christmas. What I do need is a new window over the kitchen sink. This one (30 yo) is foggy.

We'll get it at Lowes or Home Depot.

I hope I don't have to measure cause I probably wouldn't do it right. Do the big box stores come to your house to measure when you place an order?

Thanks

#3 ·
Good luck trying to get anyone to come out and measure one window.
Not much to measuring it, just need a tape measure.
Post a picture of the window, if it's an old style wooden window it's a simple DIY job with simple hand tools.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4DLls4kr84

#5 ·
A few more details would help---

there are 'new construction' windows---
And 'replacement' windows-----

New construction --the old window sashes and the entire frame are replaced---I believe this is the best way to go--but the most difficult to install---

'Replacement' windows--the sashes from the old windows are removed--sometimes part of the track--then the new window is inserted into the existing frame---

A pro can do one of these very quickly without disturbing the exterior /interior trims---However, the opening is now smaller--and the old frames are still part of the house.

A picture of the house/window would help---
I'm not a window guy---my knowledge is limited to 'new construction' windows.

Reactions: federer
#9 ·
May be a local thing , around here my local lumber yard, or even my siding supply's beat there price for a quality window every time.
And yes there's a big difference in windows, even within the same manufacture's product lines.
I use mostly Wincor or Simonton windows and have never had a call back for a fogged window.

#10 ·
I typically use Pella for my replacements. There is a local dealer that I use and they do beat anyone's price. But since this is a DIY website and the OP wouldn't ever be able to get my discount or even deal with my suppliers I thought it best to stick with advice that he could use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.