Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

White plastic squares in corners of window

This is likely a dumb question, but I'm trying to add window screens to our aluminum storm windows (the house didn't come with window screens or the corresponding frames) and while measuring the windows, I noticed these little white plastic squares that are kind of in the way .

My question is: what are these things? Can/should I removed them? Or should I leave them and just put the screen frame on top?

For what it's worth, they seem very brittle (probably due to age), so they wouldn't be difficult to remove.

I've scoured the web (and this forum) and found plenty of articles on repairing screens, but nowhere have I seen any pictures of these things.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

(And yes, the frames are very dirty at the moment--I haven't gotten to that step yet )
Attached Thumbnails
White plastic squares in corners of window-diy-chatroom-001-640x425-.jpg  

EricBNeverScare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I have white foam squares there. Mine are still cushiony but falling apart. I was hoping it was a special formulation and not regular Styrofoam but it's pretty nondurable whatever it is. It probably helps prevent the window from slamming against the frame.

Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks, Dorado. Do you have screens in your windows? If so, are the white foam things in the channels where the screen goes or where the window goes?
EricBNeverScare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

I have a sliding screen but there's nothing to cushion it. The foam just prevents the bottom window from slamming.
Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote