What Should I Do With This Icehouse Door?? - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Bud9051
  • 1 Post By ZZZZZ
  • 1 Post By GrayHair

Old 05-17-2017, 12:17 PM   #1

What should I do with this Icehouse door??

Hello all, new member/first post. I saved this Jamison Icehouse door from a trip to the landfill. My original thought was to make a frame and drop it in to make a table top. I don't want to remove any hinges or latches, so a eating table is not practical, but just a general gathering table should work. My wife had other ideas with it. I know I don't want to paint or stain it. It's got a good look to it as is. What all suggestions do you have? I want make it a functional piece of furniture.
Attached Thumbnails
What should I do with this Icehouse door??-img_2243_1495041414304.jpg   What should I do with this Icehouse door??-img_2241_1495041434180.jpg   What should I do with this Icehouse door??-img_2238_1495041453481.jpg  

Advertisement

BrannonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:38 PM   #2
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 3,396

Re: What should I do with this Icehouse door??

That's a great find... full of character....

Maybe a back counter to a bar or game room... with the hinges mounted up horizontally on the wall...

Or, depending on the entry walkway to your home... maybe a completely phony door on the walkway... just posted in for decoration

Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017, 12:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,778

How heavy is it?

Interior sliding "barn doors" are all the rage. This would make a great sliding door if it's not too heavy to put on a track, though I think you'd have to remove the hardware.

The way the hinges stick out the side like that, it might pose a safety hazard if you make any kind of interior table.

Last edited by ZZZZZ; 05-17-2017 at 12:49 PM.
ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2017, 12:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,290

As a table it wouldn't be just an issue with the hinges and the handle but all of the trim.
Just a thought, not necessarily a good one, but you could provide a frame to attach the hinges and then cover the entire door with a glass top. That would preserve the door and its looks while providing a nice very large table.

Bud
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,778

Depending on your available wall space and taste in decor, I might just mount the whole thing on the wall as a piece of art deco or art nuveau or art whatever you want to call it.

That, or you'll just have to build your own ice house to put the door in front of.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:20 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,002

Some clear Lucite "ice cubes" acting as spacers to support a tempered glass top of suitable thickness? (Particularly if 4 sides of the cubes are wavy to resemble ice.) The corners of the top should be rounded and the edges ground with a slight radius (unless you put the top in a frame). A pair of iceman's tongs (for blocks, not cubes), an ice saw, some ice-picks, etc, scattered on the door should add interest.

EDIT -- The glass top should probably be larger than the door to protect people from the projecting hinges.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.

Advertisement

Any mention of codes is based on NFPA 70 and/or 72, as applicable, because they are the most widely adopted codes in the US. Local amendments may modify the code adopted in your area, so consult your local codes official.

Last edited by GrayHair; 05-17-2017 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Added thought
GrayHair is offline   Reply With Quote