DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What purpose do strike plates serve?

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Iron Petunia 
#1 ·
The house I bought at the end of 2009 had a strike plate on the front door that looks like this: http://www.lazy-susan.com/catalog-product.php?p_ref=259592
(though it has two holes and not one -- one for the deadbolt).

I recently replaced the deadbolt and handle set. When I removed the strike plate, there was some obvious minor denting in the area around the door handle on the inside of the door. Very minor. I am wondering how a strike plate would strengthen a door in this situation. I can see how, if there were major damage to the door, the security might be compromised and therefore the strike plate would be necessary, but with very minor dents I do not understand its purpose.

Just wondering if it is worthwhile to keep the thing on the door. It looks ugly and I'd rather have it off. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

#4 ·
Some people are worry warts and add those things as a safety item---(like a burglar won't think to break a window:laughing:)

Just throw it away --touch up the nicks before painting and enjoy your new home.---Mike---

#6 ·
Thanks. That's what I'm thinking and just wondering if I was missing something. :)

OhioHomeDoctor said:
Maybe it's there for a reason, like people like to kick that door in.
Hmm... no one's shown any interest in kicking our door in since I bought the house, at least, but I don't know that this strike plate thing would really help with that anyway, you know? Probably something about our 115 lb. German Shepherd that has a way of deterring interest in kicking our door in.... :laughing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.