What Patio Doors Are The Best? - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What patio Doors are the best?

I want to replace my kitchen windows with a sliding patio door to our deck (northwest facing). My wife likes the Pella designer series with the enclosed shades. They will provide privacy and eliminate the hassel of window treatments.However, they seem to be the only manufacturer that offfers this option. I've gone on line to read reviews and they aren't very good. Unfortunately, I find bad reviews for Andreson and Marvin as well. Ive learned that the key to any replacement door/window is THE INSTALATION. Yet in the reviews, poor installation AND poor response from the door companies were often cited.

got any good answers?

Advertisement

gotanyanswers? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

Are you set on a wood product? If so, my preference is Marvin, but the Pella door is one of their better products IMO. If you are considering vinyl, there are several manufacturers that offer the internal blinds, including Okna, Himark, and Sunrise.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
gotanyanswers? (12-09-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 610

Are you stuck on a slider? You would find a french door will be far less maintaince, has the added beneft of being able to open up both sides if needed to move furniture in, leaks less air.
I've had good luck with Atruim.
http://www.atrium.com/productsub/e/246

And yes they can come with the blinds in the glass.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,136

In my situation, the space required for an in-swinging french door is not possible.

I just had a replacement slider (over-size custom) put in a few hours ago. This was the second I had installed since the doors were 30 years old and had to comply with HOA sensible requirements for exterior appearance.

I earlier had a Renewal by Andersen slider installed a year ago and it was so economical and done well. Before that, I spent the $800 and two days to go through the class for an Certified Installer for the information to understand the basics of installation and understand the effects of improper installation (about 65% bad by DIYer and wood-butcher/nail bender/carpenters) that caused me attend the class for forensic investigation for mold and moisture problems.

Even though I knew what was required after previously building my own home, I could not presently handle the logistics and installing a door myself as a DIYer, I chose to have the door installed. Based on experience, I knew a window/door is just a hole in the wall (not as good as a block or stick frame), but the installation was absolutely critical.

The first door went in perfectly and took 3 hours from in and out and removal of all scrap/debris, vacuuming and taking out the carpet runners for the patio installation. The second door (today) was a deck installation at below freezing conditions and took a little over 4 hours because of the logistic problems (up down and around). It allowed me more time to watch and look at the techniques and materials used to replace a old rotted door and framing to better than original. The care that was taken and the temperature control of the caulks/glues and stick-ums was good to see. After he was done, he said the city inspector would be there in an hour to check out the installation and the manditory smoke/CO meters that were locally code required (thankfully) and included as the permit was. - A very smooth job at a reasonable price and no hassle. Very professional and included the correction from time of a bad installation.

The best window or door is no better than the installation. - The guy I required for the installation does about 700-800 doors (only doors) a year and has everything (saws, compressors, tarps, poly, caulk, adhesive, stick and seal, vacuums, that is needed including interior trim, except you have to do the interior trim to your requirements since it is done in 3 to 4 hours.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #5
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Are you stuck on a slider? You would find a french door will be far less maintaince, has the added beneft of being able to open up both sides if needed to move furniture in, leaks less air.
I've had good luck with Atruim.
http://www.atrium.com/productsub/e/246

And yes they can come with the blinds in the glass.
http://www.himarkwindows.com/product..._entry_id=3856

Vinyl, lifetime warranty, u value of .26, and air infiltration of .06. I don't believe the product cited can best those numbers.

Last edited by HomeSealed; 12-11-2012 at 01:35 PM.
HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 610

May want to concider ordering one of these to go under the door to prevent future water damage.
http://jamsill.com/
ALso make 100% sure the area under the threshold is fully supported to stop it from twisting when steped on.
Also make sure it does not stick out past the threshold. I use 1 X 6 vinyl lumber with stainless steel trim head screws.
Time and time again I see where someone trys and use a piece of 2X pressure treated. It sticks out to far and acts like a funnel to direct the water under the threshold.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

If you like blinds beteen the glass, look at a Sunrise Patio Door. This is the company created by the former owners of Great Lakes Windows. They give you a lifetime warranty on the blinds...better than the 10 year warranty offered by Pella.
ThermalSashWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,254

The Sunrise door is a nice unit.

Okna and HiMark both make a unit with internal miniblinds as well.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote