Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #1

Share |

What is this hinge, and how do I remove it?

As the thread title says, what type of hinge is this and how do I remove it?

Any caveats to be aware of while replacing the entry door to my Condo? It's a 90 minute fire rated 36" x 80" door, no frame.

Thanks!
nolan7120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
gravity always wins

Wow, haven't seen any of those in a while. It's spring loaded to self close the door. Open and close the door. One end of the chain is spring loaded and will retract into a tube in the back of the hinge. Figure out which leaf has the spring, then open the door and shove a nail through the chain in front of that leaf. Then you can take the screws out and remove the hinge. I wouldn't put that finger pinching thing back on the new door, but that's your call. I'd use a Bommer spring hinge in it's place. The tension on the Bommer hinge can be adjusted. Since it's a 90 minute door, there is a requirement for the door to self close and latch, so you either need a spring hinge or a regular hydraulic door closer.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
Wow, haven't seen any of those in a while. It's spring loaded to self close the door. Open and close the door. One end of the chain is spring loaded and will retract into a tube in the back of the hinge. Figure out which leaf has the spring, then open the door and shove a nail through the chain in front of that leaf. Then you can take the screws out and remove the hinge. I wouldn't put that finger pinching thing back on the new door, but that's your call. I'd use a Bommer spring hinge in it's place. The tension on the Bommer hinge can be adjusted. Since it's a 90 minute door, there is a requirement for the door to self close and latch, so you either need a spring hinge or a regular hydraulic door closer.
Thank you sir, very informative post! I definitely won't put the same hinge back on the new door. The Bommer spring hinge you mentioned is what I will ise instead.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #4

Oh yeah, one more question. When I order just the door (no frame) from Menards or Home Depot, do you think they will come with pre-drilled holes for where the hinge screw goes? If not, I'm going to have a PITA of a time figuring out where to drill the holes correctly...
Old 05-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #5

Thanks "M6"!
The one's I've run into "usually" have the spring side on the door-jamb -
Not always though!
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #6
gravity always wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolan7120 View Post
Oh yeah, one more question. When I order just the door (no frame) from Menards or Home Depot, do you think they will come with pre-drilled holes for where the hinge screw goes? If not, I'm going to have a PITA of a time figuring out where to drill the holes correctly...
That's hard to say. It would depend on the type and brand of door. Even if the holes aren't pre-drilled, the hinge mortises should be pre-cut, so it won't be a major issue to mark them using a hinge leaf. You should stay with a 90 minute door to meet life safety codes. It will have a UL "D" label. Don't paint over the label.

Last edited by Maintenance 6; 05-21-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
AHH, SPANS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolan7120 View Post

your new door will need to be retro fit. if it comes morticed the chances of the new mortices lining with your old hinge mortice is near impossible. use the old door as a template to put hinges onto new door so that hinges fit into old door frame.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
That's hard to say. It would depend on the type and brand of door. Even if the holes aren't pre-drilled, the hinge mortises should be pre-cut, so it won't be a major issue to mark them using a hinge leaf. You should stay with a 90 minute door to meet life safety codes. It will have a UL "D" label. Don't paint over the label.
A 90 minute door is a must, as my condo association requires it. The old door was an eight-panel, while the new one is going to be six-panel. Thankfully my assoc is cool with that. I could only find one place that had an eight-panel door, and that was Feldco. They want $1500 for a new door and frame. They wouldn't install the door without the frame, nor would they just sell me the door (by itself) at a markup.

Anyone know of an online vendor who specializes in door sales (w/ reasonable shipping!) that sells eight-panel doors?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
your new door will need to be retro fit. if it comes morticed the chances of the new mortices lining with your old hinge mortice is near impossible. use the old door as a template to put hinges onto new door so that hinges fit into old door frame.
Does "morticed" mean that the recessed spot is already cut out for the hinge placement?

When you say use the old door as a template are you referring to something like this?: I take the old door off. I will leave the hinges on the old door. Once the old door is off, I will line up the edges of the doors while on a flat surface to see where the hinges would be installed on the new door.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
gravity always wins

Or measure the hinge locations on the old door and order the new one with the hinge mortises pre-cut.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #11

is your old door a metal door? Looking from the pics it looks like it is. The hinge isn't mortised into it. I think it would be a lot better to put in a complete door with jamb.
paul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #12
Exterior Construction

+1

Given the age of the door, getting the hinges lined up is going to be difficult.

Might be less trouble in the end to just order the complete door.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote