Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Weak Garage door

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'll give it a shot.

I have a 16x7 foam core garage door (guessing it's 12 years old) which has been acting up every now and then, only opening about 10 inches then stopping. I've checked the rollers, tracks, cables, and exterior spools and they appear to be fine. I've disconnected the door from the opener chain, and opened it manually with no issues (other than the door feeling pretty heavy.. best guess, 80lbs of force to lift).
The door assembly is a Wayne Dalton Torquemaster, so the springs are hidden and I can't visually inspect them without taking it apart. I've heard of cables spooling up in a mess when springs are bad, but this isn't the case. Everything spools nicely, and when I pull on the cables, there is tension on them.
If I assist the door manually when opening with the electric opener, I barely have to lift at all, and it goes up.

Weak springs? Need to increase spring assistance? Dying or underpowered electric garage door opener? Maybe even weather related, as it has been quite hot lately?

Thanks for any opinions.

Additional information:

Springs:
130115 Torquemaster
16x7 FCII 135x40.55, LH
WT129
SPR, TM, W/Driv, , 0.721x.143x45.79, RH Close

Opener:
Craftsman 1/2 HP

Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,666

Weak Garage door

80lbs is a bit on the heavy side.

Are you sure that is the lifting load?

If you overestimated a bit, it could be the resistance switch on the garage opener itself.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,002

Weak Garage door

Did you try increasing the lifting force on the opener? There should be two plastic slotted screw adjusters, one for opening force, one for closing force. If they are set too light, the door may do as you described. The wayne dulton doors are very light doors. If yours feels heavy, you could try adjusting the spring tension. Not sure if there is one or two springs in your torque tube. If there are two and one is broken, that would make the door feel heavy also. One other thing, if the opening force is turned up all the way already, the opener could be getting ready to kick the bucket. Craftsmen openers are not designed to be long life. Some do last longer, depends on the amount of use. If you got twelve years out of it, that's pretty good. Let us know what you find.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
Drizzt (07-11-2012), Windows on Wash (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Weak Garage door

80lbs was just an estimate on my behalf when I heaved the door open while disconnected from the tracks. I should add in a +/- 20 lbs probably, since it's tough to estimate.
And I bought the house last year, so the opener could be anywhere between 2 to 12 years. I just assumed it came with the house.

As for the lift/close force on the craftsmen opener... good idea. I didn't even think about looking at that. It was set to 3/9, and I turned it up to 5/9. It opened fine! But since this doesn't happen every time, I'll keep you up to date on if the lift force dial is all it took.

thanks!
Drizzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,666

Weak Garage door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt View Post
80lbs was just an estimate on my behalf when I heaved the door open while disconnected from the tracks. I should add in a +/- 20 lbs probably, since it's tough to estimate.
And I bought the house last year, so the opener could be anywhere between 2 to 12 years. I just assumed it came with the house.

As for the lift/close force on the craftsmen opener... good idea. I didn't even think about looking at that. It was set to 3/9, and I turned it up to 5/9. It opened fine! But since this doesn't happen every time, I'll keep you up to date on if the lift force dial is all it took.

thanks!
We are going to have to start charging for Mike's fixes here in a little bit.

He is batting 1000% (or a hat-trick for our Canadian brother to the North) right now.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (07-11-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,002

Weak Garage door

There should be a date of manufacture code on the opener. It's on the label where the serial number is. I forget how many numbers are in the code, but the last two are the year it was made. Glad to hear everything's working again.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, garage, torquemaster, wayne dalton