Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #1

Share |

water stains on patio door

Hi

We have a slider patio door from Lincoln. The fixed panel is getting black stains on the bottom rail around where the rollers would normally be. There is also a small amount of dry rot on the bottom where the two doors meet. I had a Lincoln dealer out and all he could say is that water was getting in somewhere, but couldn't offer any help. He said the rail can't be replaced either.

Any suggestions? Is the door mismounted? Would having a professional unmount that door and remount it maybe help? I don't want to replace that very expensive door, would love to replace the rail, but at minimum want the staining to stop growing.

Thanks!

jerea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #2

Got a picture?
Let me make a guess, right outside that door there's a deck, stoop steps, something that's even with the doors threshold.
To meet todays code it would need to be at least 4" below it.
I'm betting there's also no flashing under the door, and there's no water proofing on the wall under it on the outside.
One more thing look at how they supported the threshold on the outside. Did what they use stick out past the aluminum threshold? It acts like a funnel directing water toward the house.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #3

Thanks. I'm going to have to wait to shovel snow off it tomorrow to get a picture. The ledger board from the deck looks like it's about 1"" below the bottom of the sliding door, and I know the ledge board has flashing on it since I've painted it over the years. But, I'm not quite sure if the flashing goes up to the door, or just under the siding....a picture will tell a far better story. Hold on...
Old 03-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #4

This by far one of the most common building mistakes made.
It causes milloins if not more, damage to homes every year.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #5

Hi

Four pictures attached. From the inside you can see that snow piles up against both the fixed and the sliding doors. Only the fixed door is stained. The first just shows it with the sliding door open and the snow piled high. The second is probably most important. There is ice on the deck, but I didn't chip any away so it shows it doesn't go all the way to the wall, at least an ice dam isn't built up against the door. The bottom of the fixed door is shown with the snow removed. The bottom of the whole unit does overhang the siding, and it looks well caulked.It looks like the decking may be about 2" below the door, which would put the ledger itself about 3" below the door. I do remember that ledger has flashing but can't see it with the ice, but I think it was flashed from under the siding, over the ledger and then per the last picture looking up from under the deck it was just wrapped over the top of the ledger.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
water stains on patio door-img_9437.jpg   water stains on patio door-img_9438.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by jerea; 03-23-2013 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Correct photo sequence
Old 03-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
greetings from Bolivia

Send a message via Skype™ to harrymontana

basics: if you want wood or deck to stop from rotting you need to seal it, i.e. that water is unable to enter the pores of the wood.
I can only advise you on wood essentials, I am not an expert in building structures.
harrymontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #7

I'm seeing a gap under the door and whatever that is they stuck under the door is sticking out to far.
In a snow area there should have been up to 7" from the top of the decking to the door sill. Not 2".