Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #1

Share |

Water Around Window

I have a window, that does not open or close. I don't know what you specifically call that kind of window. I noticed water dripping down from it, not alot, with it leaving a small puddle. I only saw it drip from that one area, with no other areas around it looking wet at the time. However, the wood trim on the side is water stained and water damaged, and the top wood trim is also water stained. The trim damage is only on one side, and that side also looks like it has a little gap where the window meets at the top to the trim.

Any thoughts on possible causes...?

I've enclosed some pics... one being the bottom, as I imagine the top looks like it, and its too high up.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Water Around Window-insidewater.jpg   Water Around Window-windowpuddle.jpg   Water Around Window-sidetopcombo.jpg   Water Around Window-extview.jpg   Water Around Window-inview.jpg  

Water Around Window-sidetrim.jpg  

steelgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #2

Water Around Window

A few more images
Attached Thumbnails
Water Around Window-bottomext.jpg   Water Around Window-toptrim.jpg   Water Around Window-sideext1.jpg  

Old 12-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #3

Water Around Window

I'd be removing some of the siding to make sure there's house wrap and sealing tape around the nailing fin.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Water Around Window

joes right,, those exterior photos dont tell us anything
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Water Around Window

Leaking where it is at the jamb extension on the top means a bad connection to the sheathing and improper flashing.

If it is leaking around the glazing bead, there is something wrong with the window in general there.

Have a qualified remodeler pull the siding and check the window to wall connection.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #6

Water Around Window

What weather stripping? There is no weather stripping in that style window.
And what's a vegetable got to do with a window?
Old 12-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #7

Water Around Window

A couple of questions for the OP.

Is there or was there snow / ice on the roof during that time?

Is this window on a gable end of the house?
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #8

Water Around Window

Thank you very much for the replies.

The house is wrapped, and while in my picture archives I don't have a picture of that one in particular, I imagine it was done like the others--with the black tape. Like the others, the glass part <sash> was replaced after installation.

Looking at those pics, which I have attached, should they have had the tape going across the top of all of them?-- as it looks like with two other windows there is nothing on the top, just sides and bottom.

There was no snow, or ice event. The evening I noticed it, it was just heavy rain. We don't get alot of snow and ice here.

I do believe the window is on the gable side, posted a pic just to make sure, and the only issue I am aware of on that side is the siding.

Another one of the issues is the siding install, "We observed that the nails did not appear to be properly driven. The nail head stood approximately 1/8 to 1/4 off the face of the siding and was driven at an angle. The Vinyl Siding Institute (VSI) specifies that the nail be driven straight and level. The fastener head should be left 1/32 clear of the siding to allow for expansion and contraction of the siding to prevent buckling. "

The small amount of water that I saw dripping was coming from that little gap where the trim meets the window on that side, as it was being soaked into the trim.

There are other flashing issues have been determined due to other water events in different areas of the home. I was just hoping one small area would have made it through ok..but the issues keep coming to light.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Water Around Window-closeup.jpg   Water Around Window-extwallview.jpg   Water Around Window-wrappedhouse.jpg  

Last edited by steelgoddess; 12-25-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #9

Water Around Window

most likely is the top flange is over the house wrap
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:13 PM   #10

Water Around Window

I agree. They went the quick/easy way, without realizing you don't tape the bottom window flange to let any water that does get inside- drain out- pp.9 Step 2A; http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Weather...%202-23-12.pdf

The other way is more time consuming but magnitudes better; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...-wall-openings

Fig 10; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...nd-moderation#

Gary
Old 12-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #11

Water Around Window

Thank you again for the replies..

So the way I understood the links provided... was overall none of the windows should have been taped at the bottom, but they should have been taped at the top. Am I correct?

Also, the tyvek was put on prior to the windows. It seemed in the literature in that case it was pointing to:
http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Weatherization/en_US/assets/downloads/pdfs/K17934-Flashing-AFTER%2010-28-11.pdf
Am I correct there? Does the order matter?
I scanned through that one, it was a bit over my head.

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #12

Water Around Window

I actually found a picture of the window sans the drywall etc. showing its install. See attached. Its not the best photo, as it just happens to be in it.

I found this video as well, after reading the above provided links setting me in the direction..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZupIBfnM7U

The windows do not appear to be installed like that, as the tyvek was not folded in.

With the watering window, I'd almost have to say the water may be coming through where it looks like foam.
Attached Thumbnails
Water Around Window-interiorbwindowconstruc.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by steelgoddess; 12-26-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #13

Water Around Window

The Tyvek not folded in does show the windows were installed before the HW. In that case the first link I gave pertains. Weather or not they taped the head/top, is questionable. It is not installed per ASTM standards, pp.21- Table 2. The best way is draining the rough opening before the window with flashing, then window, then HW, pp 60. Read pp. 56-60 for reasons why IMO - Method B, is the best. http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/hand...pdf?sequence=1

Only read pp. 95-136 for the different accepted methods discussed with pictures.

Tom S. answer is looking better every moment- no head flashing...pull siding as Joe said in very first answer, expect the worst judging by the use of narrow tape and bottom (sill) application... probably no caulking on both sides of fin either.

Gary
Old 12-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #14

Water Around Window

There should have been 6" wide tape around the window.
Your pictures show a leak near the top so the tape across the bottoms not the issue.
Siding is never nailed tight to the wall, it's hung, not nailed.
If it was to tight there's no way for it to expand and contract, if it can not move it buckles.
As long as it was nailed beyond the thickness of the locking strip it's fine.
I just can not imagine someone setting them 1/32.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #15

Water Around Window

Thank you again for the replies.
In re: the siding, that blurb was from one of my engineer inspection reports. From my understanding the overall issue is it being too tight, with no room for expansion or contraction, in conjunction with the way its fastened. There are numerous issues throughout the construction, and this water intrusion just being another in a seemingly never ending series.

So yes, siding has to be pulled off for this issue, and most definitely I will expect the worse--and par for the course, it most likely will be the worse. Not only do I have windows that are not installed properly and are out of level, they are not flashed properly either.

At least from all of the info provided here, I have a better understanding.
The links have been very helpful.

The part I am still confused about is the housewrap install before or after, and the role it plays. This attached pic to me shows the wrap prior to any window installation. So in the overall scheme of things, does it matter the order when it comes to flashing? Is the folded tyvek something important?
This, for my understanding.

Again, thank you. The insights are most appreciated, and the diagrams most helpful. I will be on the phone tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Water Around Window-wrapped.jpg