Warped Stud - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

warped stud

So I've put in three new prehung doors and the final one to do is a closet. None of the doors were standard size for height, but trimming the door wasn't a big problem.

For the closet door the big problem will be width. The door that was in there was 17.5 inches. I bought an 18" door which should fit but it will be tight, and the problem I have is that the stud on the right side of the door frame is warped at the bottom resulting in too narrow of an opening. Hopefully the pic below illustrates.

My question is, what is the best way to take care of this stud. It won't move to the right at all so I figure I will have to cut it. What's the best tool to use?
Attached Images

Advertisement

eveready11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,716

warped stud

reciprocating saw, hammer and chisel.

Advertisement

Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-17-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #3

warped stud

Thanks. I was thinking along those lines.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

warped stud

^ yep, cut between stud and plate with metal blade in sawz all. toe nail on side of stud up 1" from bottom to plate and hammer. stud should move over. be mindful of how drywall attaches to stud up side of opening, so might need to cut drywall screws/nails loose near bottom of opening and renail after stud is moved over... use sawz all to cut plate that protrudes into opening where stud previously was...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #5

warped stud

Hi again,

I'm quite frustrated. I trimmed the bottom of the stud but found out that even at the top the opening is at least 1/2 inch too narrow (can't fit the top of the door frame between the studs). I cannot buy a smaller door since this 18 inch is the smallest I could find. This is a hallway closet door with an opening of 19inches.

My thought was that this was a jack stud, and I could remove it and replace with a 1x4 to give me the extra width. Upon closer inspection I guess this is not a jack stud. There is no jack stud. This is just a stud that goes from the floor all the way up. It does not fit under the door header like a jack stud would.

What the hell do I do with this and how do I get this door in? Getting kinda tired of having no door on this closet and would like to get the job finished.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 694

warped stud

So open up the wall and reframe one side.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

warped stud

it is mucho gnarly but take a sawzall with meaty teeth and sawzzall the stud in half( rip the stud with the sawzall or even a skilsaw depending on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go). get some painters plastic and put up a barrier hanging from the ceiling to keep things clean and dust free in the immediate vicinity.start a pilot hole with a large frill bit and draw two lines either side of the stud so you can follow the progression of your cut as you go along. otherwise it is floor to ceiling if you want to alter the opening, or even take out the top 2x forming the door opening and cut the stud on the side and add a longer top piece that allows the stud to sit back into the wall some. the wall could be weakened by the procedure though.

Last edited by hand drive; 04-14-2013 at 04:01 PM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hand drive For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-17-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 694

warped stud

I think you have three options.

(1) Forget about the door instead do something like a curtain or a sliding partition that goes OVER the opening.

(2) Remove part of the sheet rock and reframe that side, if your door header is connected to that piece it could be really tricky.

(3) This would be my choice, you mentioned the top edge is also too narrow? By how much? I am assuming the amount is small like 1/4" or so? If you have an angle grinder preferably a larger one like a 7", get a really coarse grit abrasive flap disc, mark a plumb line where you want them, take two pieces of scrap wood (or metal rulers) on each side clamped down tight and use as guide, and use the flap disc to shave the stud top to bottom to whatever you want. It will be dusty. You will be amazed how much these flap discs will shave the materials. If you are careful you can get to a pretty perfect vertical line, but even if slightly uneven you will shim the door jamb right? I think this may work and will not compromise the structural integrity unless you are cutting out a lot.
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,716

warped stud

narrow the door.
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,646

warped stud

After you have done drywall a few times....ripping out a section of drywall is sometimes the easiest thing to do compared to trying to take short cuts.

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote