Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Viwinco OceanView Impact window opinions needed

I have had continuing leaks around my (3) 4x5' picture windows for the past few years. I have finally decided to take all the siding off that outside wall and replace the windows and the siding. The contractor recommended Viwinco windows (I have Anderson there now) because they have an impact resistant window available and I live in a high wind area.
I have a few questions about these windows. One person on this forum said they've been using them for 20 years and are happy with them. I want to know if the laminate they put on the glass that makes it impact resistant diminishes the optical clarity and does it ever yellow, bubble or fail in any way?
Thank you!

h82diet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,020

Laminated glass does not yellow, bubble or delaminate.

Depending on where you are located, it may be entirely unnecessary and a bit expensive.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

We live on the top of a small mountain and when the wind blows we can see the INSIDE pane of glass on these three window bow. When the winds are predicted to go over 75mph, I drag out these plywood inserts for the windows and screw them in place and I'm sick of doing this. I'm also worried about someone losing their balance (as my elderly mom once did) and falling into one of these windows which start 12 inches off the floor. I thought Anderson windows were good quality when I was building the house so I used them. The inside trim is wood (vs. the vinyl of the windows I'm considering) but the fact that the glass is so thin and the windows leak has left me disappointed.
h82diet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

I have used Viwinco products for 20+ years, and find them to be a reliable company. I have also used Andersen for a LONG time, excellent products. You can't compare the two, different products. If you have Andersen windows, I would replace with Andersen. As for the glass, they have to meet certain ratings to be qualified for that purpose, usually ASTM or similar. If it is rated for impact, it meets those requirements.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote