Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

vinyl pocket windows with new siding

Hi I am posting for the first time on this site hoping to find some suggestions for my trim issues. I had previously installed jeld wen pocket windows in my house as I had not planned on replacing the old siding, well a couple years later and the siding is in the process of being replaced. I am having issues deciding how to properly trim around these windows in order to run the J-Channel around them and weather to clad in aluminum or not for whatever trim I decide to do. Any help would be great and I will upload some pictures tomorrow to help explain. Thanks in advance.

Dan

damaro2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 42

Post up some pictures and you will get more directed feedback.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 2

Cladding the existing trim in aluminum would be the most common option, but as WoW said, pictures would be helpful in determining the possibilities
Old 09-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #4

Here are the pictures and Unfortunately the old trim is not an option it was rotted

Name:  ForumRunner_20130904_183700.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  33.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130904_183718.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  45.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130904_183735.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  45.4 KB
Old 09-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 48

Close up like that are useless.
Back up and try again.
That's some funky looking windows you have there.
In the picture it looks like the OSB sticks out beyond the rough framing instead of over it like it's suppose to be.
I've Never seen any company that built screens like that before.
Looks like someone install the window to the rough framing instead of to the OSB like it was supposed to be.
So far it looks like your stuck with 1 X 4 vinyl lumber or brick molding then the siding,
Old 09-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #6

Sorry I'm taking the pictures up on scaffolding is kinda hard to back up much more. I installed pocket Windows into the existing frames previously and have since needed to re shay the entire house and will be re siding it as well. I could only install them as far as the previous trim would let me. These are jeld wen from menards. I am in gurnee il. Thank you
Old 09-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #7

Name:  ForumRunner_20130904_193154.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  43.5 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130904_193205.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  48.8 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130904_193215.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  32.3 KB

The last picture is how I had re trimmed one of the old Windows to match up to the old siding. Wondering if there may be a cleaner way to do it with the new siding
Old 09-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 42

Looks like and insert/pocket window with housewrap tape over the extrusion? Did you tape the bottom as well against the window or is that just the housewrap tape?
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:18 AM   #9

That is the hose wrap tape right now around ask the edges I was going to pick up the butyl flashing tape and install that once I figure out where I need to end the wrap and what to do about the trim.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #10

Trying to use replacement windows instead of new construction windows is always a challenge to keep from leaking.
Most likely places there going to have issues it at the top and the bottom.
You left out the needed Z molding at the top of the window you retrimmed and with the trim sticking out at the bottom like that it may allow water to get in behind the trim.
Consider doing it like this.
Rip the piece that goes along the bottom with a slight angle along the top of it.
When cutting the two side pieces cut the bottom of the piece at the same angle where they will over lap.
That will do two things, allow the water to be diverted away from the wall and not allow water to flow to the outside edges where it can sit and mold up.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #11

So by z trim do you mean a drip cap? The windoe that I re trimmed will be re trimmed again once I get to that side of the house with the siding. So should I be trimming it like more of a sill on y the bottom of the Window then?
Old 09-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #12

Yes a drip cap.
You should also be using 5/4 PVC lumber not 3/4. The reason being you do not want the J moulding to stick out past the trim where water can get in behind it.
One way to not have to spend the time installing the J moulding is to buy Vinyl trim boards with a built in dado. Any real siding supply will have it in stock or can get it.
Check out page 6, J pocket trim moulding.
http://www.certainteed.com/resources/CTS154.pdf
Old 09-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #13

How do the vinyl trims hold up for discoloration? I have used some of the vinyl brick mould from Menards and they have discolored. What's the best Orton for attaching the vinyl b boards if I go that route or is there a way to do pune and them cap with aluminum? Not planning on staying here more than another 4-5 years