Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Vinyl corner guard for bathroom window?

I have a large glass block window in my bathroom and I have a 3-piece tub surround where the back panel is cut around the window. Unfortunately the window trim kit that came with my surround was too small for my window, so the contractor who did my remodel installed some foam trim that I had to paint to match. Now that paint is peeling and just does not look very clean, so I am looking to replace the trim with a cleaner solution.

I have looked into using PVC corner moulding pieces, but one of the things I need to consider is that I need something that is wide enough to cover the nail holes that will be left in my surround when I remove the existing trim. That means that the 3/4" x 1/2" PVC corner moulding sold at Home Depot won't be good enough.

With that said, would a vinyl corner guard be a possible solution that could be used around a bathroom window? I found this corner guard (http://www.corner-guard.com/textured...er-guards.html), which I could order to the exact width that I need. Then I'm thinking it could be cut to size and mitred, then attached with some sort of adhesive and caulked around? Is there any reason why this would be a bad idea, or should it work well?

Thanks in advance for any feedback that you can provide!

CubsWin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,278

If you would post a picture it sure would make it easyer to see what it is your trying to do.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #3

Ok, here are a couple pictures.

The first one shows the entire window/surround with the existing painted foam trim.

The second picture shows a lower corner of the window.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:33 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,168

Pull off the casing and 1/4 round together. Re-trim the opening with 3.25" PVC colonial casing and finish the deeper jamb with a piece of flat PVC trim or 1/4 round PVC.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Re-trim the opening with 3.25" PVC colonial casing and finish the deeper jamb with a piece of flat PVC trim or 1/4 round PVC.
Do you have a link to the colonial casing you are referring to? I can only seem to find PVC casing up to 2-3/4", which could still work.

With the flat PVC trim, would I put that over top of the casing, or would I attach the flat trim first and then nail the casing over that? I'm not sure if that made sense, so here is a very ugly diagram of what I am asking. Assuming my window looks like the first diagram on the left, where the wood frame sticks out slightly on the bottom, would I install the flat PVC (blue) and then the casing (red) over it, or vice versa?

I still can't help but think that an L-shaped trim or corner guard would be cleaner because it would be one piece instead of two?

Last edited by CubsWin; 05-21-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:49 AM   #6
Exterior Construction

They may only have it in 2.75"

The flat trim should dump overtop the casing in an ideal situation.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #7
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,048

Well... that's the cutest little hopper window I've ever seen.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:09 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Well... that's the cutest little hopper window I've ever seen.
Seriously. I didn't know anyone could make them that small. It is like a door for Stuart Little.

Not picking on the original posters window at all. Just though it was interesting looking.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Seriously. I didn't know anyone could make them that small. It is like a door for Stuart Little.
Really? I have seen a lot of those hopper windows in glass block windows in the city (Chicago). It may be a little deceiving because my window is so large, at 42" wide x 36" tall.

I really like the idea of PVC quarter-round on top of the casing so that water won't sit on the ledge, but I haven't had any luck finding 1" quarter-round, which is what I would need to go from the window to the front edge of the casing. 1" is the blue depth in my right-most sloppily-drawn picture up above. Is there anything else I could use there to ensure that the water runs down and off the casing, rather than sitting on top of flat PVC?
Old 05-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #10
Exterior Construction

Check with Quik Trim and see what they have.

They have a downloadable catalog from their website.