DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Windows and Doors (
-   -   Unknown locking pin hinge (

lferrante 08-02-2011 06:14 PM

Unknown locking pin hinge

Just wondering if anyone knows what kind of hinge this is. I've searched all over and even asked on metal-working forums and an online door hinge store and nobody has seen this before. I don't know where they came from but we used them for a a custom piece on a car.

What is the name of this type of hinge that has a locking pin?

Here are pictures. I didn't insert them into the message body because they are kind of big.

Bud Cline 08-02-2011 06:26 PM

Is there spring-tension on that hinge?:)

lferrante 08-02-2011 06:41 PM

No-at least not in the application now. Where it came from possibly.

There are two holes in the hinge pin. One is for when the hinge is closed and the locking pin rests and when extended, the locking pin is in the other slot.

Your suggestion led me to search for spring hinge but none of the google image results show anything like that. This piece must have been from something in the 1950's or something..nobody knows what it is.

Thurman 08-02-2011 06:43 PM

Yes, there is spring tension on the pin. Moving the knurled handle to one position (up if I remember correctly) allows the spring to push the locking part of the pin into the hinge pin, literally stopping the hinge from working. Moving the knurled handle to the side releases the locking part of the pin from the hinge pin allowing the hinge to move. I've seen these years ago, but have no idea of where to find them now. My first choice to find them would be at: Good Luck

lferrante 08-02-2011 06:54 PM

I thought he meant if there was tension on the hinge as a load bearing where each side is attached to. In that case still no, but there is tension on the pin which I thought was obvious by the spring underneath it. Sorry.

Ron6519 08-07-2011 10:06 AM

What is this a hinge to? It's application might facilitate the search. It looks like a hinge to a mechanical device. The manufacturers part diagram might be a place to go.

Johnboy555 08-12-2011 10:05 PM

It looks like it's made to hold the lid in the open position.. with the "pin" sliding into the hole that's there. Just a thought from what I can see in the pics

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1