Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #1

Share |

Transom window repair options (with pictures)

Hi,
I have a broken transom window. I am wondering what is the best repair option I have? It's double paned and the inside pane didn't break. I'm not sure if this window was sealed (hermetically?) or not or had argon gas for insulation prior? Is it enough to pop out the trim, cut out the glazing and just replace the glass? Or would a complete new transom window unit be required for a proper fix? If replacing the unit, how would I remove it? Thanks for any insights!

barlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #2
Framing Contractor

There are probably stops inside that are either nailed in or screwed in. You can probably remove those carefully, and order a new double pane from a glass shop. What is the condition of the entire door unit? Probably makes sense to consider total replacement if the rest of the door is showing significant wear.
sixeightten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #3

Thanks. I will get up there and see if I can pop out the unit. The door is only 5 years old so hopefully there is no need to replace everything.
barlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:15 AM   #4

A large majority have a sash bead that keeps the glass held with the frame.
Ideally you can remove the sash bead, slice any sealant and then be able to remove the pane of glass. Just reverse the process for reinstalling.
Make sure once you reinstall some glass, you clean the panes. If you want some window cleaning tips have a look at this Sydney window cleaner's top 10 tips for window cleaning.
With the most important ones being, do not use too much detergent and look at the windows once they are cleaned from both inside and out.
Laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:31 AM   #5

There should be a manufacturers name somewhere around the door or frame(possibly behind a hinge), contact them for a replacement.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote