Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2013, 12:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Top Half of Vinyl Windows Don't Open

Hello I'm in need of a bit of window insight. I know nothing of windows except they should open and close, so please bear with me. The window style is as pictured in windowstyle.jpg. The top slides, or in this case should slide down, and the bottom of course pulls up. On many of them the top will not come down. For example I have two identical windows in a room, one is ok, and one will not. Visually the difference seems in how they look.

Of one of the windows that will not open, closeup.jpg, closeup2.jpg is the lower part of the upper window. There is a 1/4" + gap at the bottom on one side, and the I think its called pile doesn't hit the other side. As you go up the window it gets smaller - kitwindowup.jpg. The other side looks "normal" on the bottom, gaps a bit in the middle, and like the other side gets much closer to the other side on the top.

Another one with a similar issue livroomtop.jpg, as you can see sitting closed the handles are uneven. That is fully closed. This window by going outside after a time with alot of force I was able to get it to open, by pushing down on bottom. It would then with a lot of force and struggle open on the inside, however it wouldn't close from the inside, and I had to close it from the outside. It has the same side gap as the above window, and it too narrows at the top. The other side of this one doesn't seem to have any type of gap.

When my house was rebuilt, all the window openings were reframed. They also had put the wrong windows in at the offset, they were supposed to have the grids and didn't, so they put the first set in and came back and swapped out the middle.

I think something is "off" here....
Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Top Half of Vinyl Windows Don't Open-windowstyle.jpg   Top Half of Vinyl Windows Don't Open-closeup.jpg   Top Half of Vinyl Windows Don't Open-kitwindowup.jpg   Top Half of Vinyl Windows Don't Open-closeup2.jpg   Top Half of Vinyl Windows Don't Open-livroomtop.jpg  

steelgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 120

Sure looks like a poor install issue to me. Looks like someone just set that window in place and attached it without checking for level or plumb.
Was this a new construction window with nailing fins, or a replacement window?

Old 09-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #3

I'm inclined to say new construction..as there was nothing there to replace..
House was down to the studs....
Old 09-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 120

What type siding is there?
Got a picture of the outside?
Old 09-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 2

Looks like it is out of square. Could be warpage of the product, but more likely to be poor install (or a bit of both). Probably need to be pulled and reinstalled to fix that if it was new construction (nail fin) install.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (12-24-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #6

A very belated thanks for the replies.

As believed, the windows are not installed properly. They are not level.

The attached picture shows one, and the levelness of the window frame and the levelness of the top of the window.

They need to be reinstalled.

I've been told so often I am just too picky and can't be satisfied with all of the different issues with my home. This site and responses has been so helpful in knowledge and confirming my thoughts/fears, and a needed reality check.

Unfortunately, just when I think I have a handle on all that is wrong, something else pops up, as they have with the windows. This one not included in the original mix. As it is a different issue, I'm going to give it its own thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Top Half of Vinyl Windows Don't Open-level.jpg  
Old 12-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 94

If those windows were set in a fin application, there is going to be a bunch to remove to get that job corrected.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (12-24-2013)