Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 1,046
Share |
Default

Thoughts on replacement windows


Houston Texas

Any new or current thoughts on replacement windows would be helpful. Any new or old technology that is a must or must not have?

Where do the major player rank now?

Thoughts? Not looking to pay 5 digits like some companies want.

Thanks!

__________________
digitalplumber is just a name for use here, I am not a plumber!
digitalplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 6,862
Default

Thoughts on replacement windows


I just put in 15 new windows in my 2-story addition and existing house...$7k...just for the windows.

Mildard....Low E, argon, double pane, vinyl inside, fiberglass outside. Some are single hung..some are sliders....some are casement....and some are tempered. (click on my 2-story addition link in my sig to see pics)

Fiberglass means they don't look white on the outside...and I can paint the outside. Vinyl means low maint...and good thermal properties.

Besides keeping the cold out....the big thing we noticed...sound...they were a significant improvement over the older AL double pane windows we had.

I would start off with calling a few door and window places and get quotes. Quotes are free. Don't be in a rush....and if anyone says..."I can only offer this deal if you sign up today.".....show them the door and tel them that if they call or come back...your calling the police.

__________________
"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 1,046
Default

Thoughts on replacement windows


Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I just put in 15 new windows in my 2-story addition and existing house...$7k...just for the windows.

Mildard....Low E, argon, double pane, vinyl inside, fiberglass outside. Some are single hung..some are sliders....some are casement....and some are tempered. (click on my 2-story addition link in my sig to see pics)

Fiberglass means they don't look white on the outside...and I can paint the outside. Vinyl means low maint...and good thermal properties.

Besides keeping the cold out....the big thing we noticed...sound...they were a significant improvement over the older AL double pane windows we had.

I would start off with calling a few door and window places and get quotes. Quotes are free. Don't be in a rush....and if anyone says..."I can only offer this deal if you sign up today.".....show them the door and tel them that if they call or come back...your calling the police.
Wow your the man, or builder I may say! Thanks for your comments. For my son, we have been looking now on and off for 2 years. Have had the usual hard sells from the big name folks. Looked at the RBA dude and told him, no way we are paying 22k for windows! Made him do his dog and pony show in an un air conditioned home during summer months here in Houston. Would love to do this myself, order and install but son is slowly getting the "I am tired of renovation blues" so its becoming a 1 person work site!

Thanks
__________________
digitalplumber is just a name for use here, I am not a plumber!
digitalplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: VA, MD, DC
Posts: 5,700
Default

Thoughts on replacement windows


Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalplumber View Post
Houston Texas

Any new or current thoughts on replacement windows would be helpful. Any new or old technology that is a must or must not have?

Where do the major player rank now?

Thoughts? Not looking to pay 5 digits like some companies want.

Thanks!
Digitial,

Did we talk about this already?

I feel like I shot you Randy (Ultra Windows) information once before.

Talk to him and tell him that Eric sent you along. He is a great guy and honest to the core. Even if you don't want to use him or the windows he recommends, he will get you squared away and pointed in the right direction.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
ddawg16 (02-05-2014), digitalplumber (02-05-2014), HomeSealed (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 1,046
Default

Thoughts on replacement windows


Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Digitial,

Did we talk about this already?

I feel like I shot you Randy (Ultra Windows) information once before.

Talk to him and tell him that Eric sent you along. He is a great guy and honest to the core. Even if you don't want to use him or the windows he recommends, he will get you squared away and pointed in the right direction.

yes we did, and I still have his information. I was just wanting to touch base on this subject again to see if there was anything new.

Thanks
__________________
digitalplumber is just a name for use here, I am not a plumber!
digitalplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #6
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 6,862
Default

Thoughts on replacement windows


There is a lot to be said being able to get a solid honest answer from a vendor.

One of the things I have learned during my 'project', cheap is not always cheap.

Sometimes paying a few $$ more yields a magnitude better result.

A couple of examples....Stucco....$6K was not the cheapest price I could have paid...but for the money they did an outstanding job...

Windows...$7K? Given the quality...very much worth it.

Doors.....at almost $300 each...yea...I could have bought an HD hollow core door...and when you look at it, you would have said "Yep, they got that from Home Depot"....now I get the "Where did you get those doors?"
__________________
"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
HomeSealed (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 25,915
Default

Thoughts on replacement windows


Why not install them yourself?
Post a picture of some of the windows you have now.
By waiting 2 years those window prices are useless just the price of the materials has gone up many since then.
I'd be getting some prices from local contractors if I needed someone to install them, and buying directly from a place like a siding distributor if I was installing them myself.
Any commissioned sales place is going to cost you more money.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 1,046
Default

Thoughts on replacement windows


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Why not install them yourself?
Post a picture of some of the windows you have now.
By waiting 2 years those window prices are useless just the price of the materials has gone up many since then.
I'd be getting some prices from local contractors if I needed someone to install them, and buying directly from a place like a siding distributor if I was installing them myself.
Any commissioned sales place is going to cost you more money.
Would love to do this project myself, but as I stated my helper/son has got the I am tired of renovation work blues! Has saved money so its burning a hole in his pocket. Had actually gone the Pella route at one point to do ourselves, but then the sale went off and learned too many bad things about them.

Will post some pics. Just an older 60's home, brick for the most part. Hardest window will be a living room with a bay window serup.

Thanks, pics to come!
__________________
digitalplumber is just a name for use here, I am not a plumber!
digitalplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:11 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 25,915
Default

Thoughts on replacement windows


It's a one man job to install regular sized replacement windows.
If your also going to have the exposed wood wrapped it needs to be done before the window goes in. For that part you need to hire someone, but there's no reason why they can not just do the wrapping and you install the windows.
A bay is a whole different story.
I've found it worked out better when replacing a bay to go with a bow instead. It sticks out less so there's less chance of it ever sagging again.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 1,046
Default

Thoughts on replacement windows


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
It's a one man job to install regular sized replacement windows.
If your also going to have the exposed wood wrapped it needs to be done before the window goes in. For that part you need to hire someone, but there's no reason why they can not just do the wrapping and you install the windows.
A bay is a whole different story.
I've found it worked out better when replacing a bay to go with a bow instead. It sticks out less so there's less chance of it ever sagging again.

Actually, bay window was wrong. A bow window is probably correct since a bay window is probably what you see out of a kitchen and that is not what we have.

Will post some pics!

Thanks
__________________
digitalplumber is just a name for use here, I am not a plumber!
digitalplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #11
Home Performance
 
HomeSealed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Milwaukee,WI
Posts: 1,427
Default

Thoughts on replacement windows


+1 on WoW's recommendation of Randy down at Ultra. Great guy that won't steer you wrong whether you do business with him or not. Texas seems to be a different beast when it comes to the choices that you have available, so having someone that knows the landscape and is trustworthy is a tremendous advantage.

__________________
Replacement Windows, doors, siding, roofing, insulation, and certified energy consulting.
www.HomeSealed.com
HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
digitalplumber (02-05-2014)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DYI Replacement Windows Uncle Dave Windows and Doors 2 02-21-2013 07:44 AM
Can you flash replacement windows with existing siding? twobyfour2 Windows and Doors 3 05-31-2011 09:29 PM
Wood Sash to Vinyl Replacement Windows Pittsville Building & Construction 3 05-27-2011 02:24 AM
Replacement windows StanDavid Building & Construction 8 03-13-2011 03:37 PM
Measuring for replacement windows. adeebdiy Carpentry 5 10-17-2010 09:07 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.